Yoyojam Phenomizm Bootleg Champion Yoyo Review

True. A copy can play great, and at a great price.

Fortunately yoyos aren’t affected by royalties as such. Video, music and software piracy drives costs up and hurts those who make it by them not getting paid.

With yoyo, at least, someone is getting paid at every step of the process.

I like my little Magic Pear Ball. I like my Littles. I like my Miracle. I’m sure I’ll like this new one.

It would be nice if these Chinese factories would take the same amount of time making NEW designs as they would copying others. Who knows, maybe they can come out with a high end metal that sells for way cheap, and be completely original AND be a big money maker for them. OR, since it’s original, raise the price accordingly.

The Dancing Pearl, the Littles, and the Miracle were all original designs. Yoyofactory rebranded the Dancing Pearl(the JK) and the Miracle(SuperWide).

Well, the one I ordered came in yesterday. I like it, but I don’t think it will be a favorite. It does perform quite FAST though, which I don’t like yet. It’s also unforgiving on bad throws, which honestly doesn’t surprise me.

It comes with 2 strings and a spare set of response pads. There is no string already on the yoyo. I went with a YYE 100% poly neon green and have been using that. I might use flowable silicone since the stock response pads seem a bit hard and not exactly grippy. It also plays rather heavy in my not so experienced opinion. I really feel this yoyo on the string.

For what I paid(under $10) with free international airmail shipping that arrived within 8 days(a new speed record from that company), I fail to see how they can make money off these. I also have a KK bearing, so that might be what I stick in there to replace the stock bearing(which is also a concave). It will most likely perform better and maybe quiet it down.

Note I’m not questioning the YYE business model with the Tier 1 mark-up and whatever YYJ wholesale sells their product to YYE to for them to resell. Based on what I see and experience, I honestly say that based on my enjoyment of this bootleg, the Phenomizm is NOT overpriced. However, I’m going to go for the Phenom first. But the Phenomizm is definitely in my acquisition sights as well now. All I can say is that this inexpensive yoyo has basically secured a minimum of 2 more purchases(either together or at different times) at YYE.

Of course, with all the flak that Aoda takes, I’m glad to hear that the ones I’ve chosen are their original designs. For me, the Miracle is what I need for a super-wide design since I need it mainly for example purposes. The Littles is just flat out fun, and the Dancing Pear Ball is just an inexpensive metal throw that I don’t worry about.

I found that tilts were quite easy to correct on the Champion. And I would think the stock concave is better than the Dife-yo KKs, Mainly because the bootleg kk comes with 10 balls in the bearing.

Yeah, their bearings seems to be realy good. I got bootleg supernova, now I’m using its bearing in my Dang.

I think my problem is me today. Everything I’m throwing is tilted. I must be having a “bad throw day”.

I do agree that tilts are easy to correct.

I received my Champion today, and wow am I impressed! I can’t believe how good it is. Even the bearing! The mirrored caps look awesome while spinning! This yoyo is fast! Obviously not good for grinds. If the Champion is this good, I wonder how good the Phenomizm is, or if there is really any difference in play at all. Just might have to do right and get the Phenomizm.

Now they just need to do a Phenom. :slight_smile:

I’m really not a fan of this complete copy idea. They should at least change the bearing size.

I’m not really a fan of copying either. I always appreciate originality.

Not that I want to support purchasing an imitation, I did happen to find some at Bob’s Bait and Tackle after doing a search. Aside from that, I do have some questions in mind:

How are the durability on these things? My biggest fear (even though they’re a fraction of the cost) is that 1 kiss on the ground would cause a nice shatter.

Quite durable. I’ve dropped it before. And I am locking this thread.