YoyOfficer Lava

[tr]
[td]

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd488/mcdvrd/Lava_zpsc45a7545.jpg

[/td]
[/tr]

When I wrote my Hatchet review, I did it because I just love the Hatchet. The result was that I was one of the many who scored a Lava as a prize. Since Yoyofficer was nice enough to send me one of these; I felt it would be only right for me to write a review of the yoyo I received.

Yoyofficer has replaced the original IMP with the Lava recently. The IMP, for those who have not seen or thrown one, is a little powerhouse with a V-shape and an almost perfect mid-rim weighting. Although the IMP is not as stable as the Hatchet, it is speedy and every bit as fun to play. When I asked why Yoyofficer had replaced the IMP; I was told that the Lava was a “more than worthy” successor to the IMP. Since I already loved the IMP; it was with anticipation that I received my Lava in the mail.

[tr]
[td]

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd488/mcdvrd/LavaImp_zpsaef46e46.jpg

[/td]
[/tr]

Obviously, the shapes of the two are very different. The Lava is a more traditional shape that fits much more easily into the hand. The flattened rims are easy to hold and are much more comfortable on hard returns than a V-shape and seems to carry more momentum than the IMP. Where the IMP was light, the Lava feels much more solid on the string and is also faster due to the more focused weight. The speed of the Lava is direct; with little float. I would compare its feel to a YoyoMonster Quickmate. It is fast and super-long spinning with great weight distribution that allows easy maneuvering in any direction.

[tr]
[td]

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd488/mcdvrd/LavaImp3_zps2d811b5b.jpg

[/td]
[/tr]

While the IMP was forgiving like the Hatchet, the Lava is a bit less so. Because of the flattened rims, the catch-zone walls are a bit steeper than with the open V-shape of the IMP. This means that sloppy play is not as rewarding with the Lava s with the IMP. I find that this increased spin and weight comes at a price; you are forced to be much more precise with the Lava. For those of you who know the difference between a CLYW Avalanche and the CLYW Sasquatch; you will know what I am talking about. If you are careful and can avoid the occasional stability-robbing string hits on the Lava; you are rewarded with a long-spinning throw that can zip through anything you can throw it it with ease. Pops and catches are especially easy due to the increased weight on the string as well as the more focused rim-weight. String tricks are where the Lava excels. Because the Lava demands more precise control, I find the Lava creates better overall performance because my attention to the smaller details ends up putting the yoyo in better position to translate to new tricks.

One of the great strengths of Yoyofficer is that they make super yoyo’s for very reasonable prices. The Lava and its predecessor the IMP are a great example of the great product-family that Yoyofficer has. Both appear to inhabit the same consumer space. The design team at Yoyofficer, however, have made two distinct models that are quite unlike each other when in flight. Their new model is far speedier and more solid than its predecessor. Is it better though? The best part about Yoyofficer is you do not need to try and decide which one you like best by looking at pictures and wondering. The prices of these yo-yo’s means you do not have to make the decision until after you have purchased both and decided for yourself. My guess is that you will end up enjoying this new Lava as much as I do.

2 Likes

awesome thanks for the reveiw not i want one even more time to find some money or atleast another $14 to get one

i might just now get one thanks!!!

Bumped a super old thread (i know) but just wanted to attest that this is an awesome yoyo and people should be aware of yoyofficer!