Yoyo tricks

How do many people take a video of professional yoyo players and mange to learn from them? Fir example, people learn sepcific tricks from Gentry stein by taking the video and slowing it down. Does it take time?

I am also curious about finding a sqaure yoyo? I am struggling to find one the internet. Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

I know nothing of how to obtain a square yoyo but I do know that learning tricks takes a bit of time. As you said you can slow down the video via youtube’s in player settings and from there you can pause or play and also try to do the trick as you’re watching it. My personal advice would be to watch it slow once and pause/ rewind at times that seem confusing and try to understand the motions in your head first. Then after you have a basic idea, you can try the trick as the video plays again to work out any kinks.

Wash, rinse, and repeat(er)! I hope this helps you in your journey.

4 Likes

Not sure if you saw this Brandon Vu video but he breaks it down here. Ironically, he also makes a square yoyo called the tofu.

6 Likes

Yeah it takes time to learn Yoyo tricks. You can use the comma and period on YouTube to go frame by frame. Good luck!

3 Likes

My favorite way to learn tricks is slowing down a video that has a gopro or birds eye view looking down at the tricks. I feel like if you can see exactly in their perspective you should be able to learn the trick theyre doing pretty easily.

4 Likes

In my personal experience ( be careful but try it ) but Square yo-yos tend to hurt.

As for Yo-yo tricks Find a a good tutorial that has front view and POV view at normal and also slow speed front and POV view.

Then if you have trouble post about your trouble in the best way you can explain or if you can post a video that can help. Many people in the forum will be willing to help with the secrets of the yo-yo Illuminati.

My best tip for learning any trick and the problem with individual expectations on how much time to it should take to learn yo-yo tricks.

Be honest with the amount and the quality of time you realistically have to devote to learning 1 complex 5 to 6 element yo-yo trick.

I have been working on metempsychosis for 9 months with 2, 15 min sessions a day at least 6 days a week working on just this trick. I do work on, smooth out and polish other tricks during that time but set aside that specific time for that trick.

I can do all the elements 2 or 3 times a session now I am working on getting more consistent and get it in 2 motions one yo-yo clockwise to the redirect counter clockwise and one motion after. I am close I can feel it.

2 Likes