Learning Tricks

Is there a method to learning tricks? How do you guys learn your tricks?
I just keep on watching the tutorial and repeat until i get it, takes days to master:(
Easier method?

watch tuturial, practice, watch tuturial, practice, watch tuturial, practice, watch tuturial, practice.
until you get it, thats what i do

I just watch tons of yoyo videos for inspiration, and then go make up my own tricks. Also sometimes I’ll watch a tutorial, and then build off of that trick. That’s how most people do it.

I pretty much just make up my own tricks and practice those, so I may be a little off beat here, but when I do learn from a tutorial.

1. Use a fresh peice of string (if it’s a slack trick)
  2. Learn it peice by peice (pretty obvious one)
  3. Once I have a certain part down I check to make sure I’m in the same mount as the person I’m watching.
  4. Use a really stable yoyo.
  5. Do the trick repeditiavley once learned.
  6. Finish with the hokey pokey.

What would be a stable yoyo?

One that does not tilt very easily is a stable yoyo. If it doesn’t tilt while you are in the middle of a trick, then you will have more time to figure out the steps of the trick.

like amdroid said. Some examples would be the trinity, or anything with a lot of rim weight. Generally it will mention rim weight in the product description, or you could try reading some reviews.

I watch the tutorial, then I try going through it in steps. An example would be maybe “Kwijibo.” I would try to learn the first “pop,” once I’ve MASTERED that, I would move on to the 2nd part and MASTER IT… I sort of learn like that. It helps ALOT to just break the trick down into steps and master them individualy. I actually don’t use YYE tutorials for 1A. I use MasterMagic.NET to learn 1A tricks. It’s a little “out dated,” but [this is debatable] I think it does a better job of breaking tricks down for you, and it also has the option of “first person” view; but that’s just me. Good luck!

i make check points in the trick. so i take the first part of a trick, practice it until i have it down, then do the second part, etc. i dont mean individual moves, but a few moves. i usually get to the point where i at least know them, but have trouble hitting them, then i can practice the trick where ever i am. after i have all the parts, then i put them together. after i get it a few times all together, i get a responsive yoyo that isn’t the most stable, ( i use an 888 with an a sized bearing with lube) and practice on that. once you get that, you know the trick inside and out

One more thing, I like to listen to music while i’m practicing the trick, makes life funner.

Pretty much what I do, except whenever I do something right I add a happy dance. :slight_smile: Also music is a must. Unfortunately all my bearings seem to be acting up at once I’m not quite sure what the deal is so I’m getting kinda annoyed that even my most stable yo-yo doesn’t seem to want to sleep as long as it should, but I’m also not very good either. :stuck_out_tongue: My yo-yo and I are apparently in a joint effort to learn and perform sub par.

The best way, for me, is while watching the tutorials I take each element of a trick in and memorize it. If needed I will watch a video again. I will then begin trying the trick. Go slow and learn each element one at a time. Don’t hurry because if it involves, let’s say a double or nothing mount, and you don’t have that down perfect, you won’t be able to master the other part of the trick. Master each element of the trick, then work on making it a fluent motion. Lastly, don’t skip any trick because every trick involves an element or mount you may need for another trick.
So…

1. Watch the video once or twice and remember each step.
  2. Learn each element slowly and master each element separate.
  3. After mastering each element, put each element together and make it a fluent motion.

Tip: Don’t skip any tricks because each trick contains an element you may need for another trick.

I kind of disagree. Sometimes I think it is really necessary to skip a trick. By the time I got through to the end of the YYE tuts, I had skipped several tricks. Sometimes if feels like a particular trick was made just to bug me. I usually end up skipping ones like that. For example: a lot, I mean A LOT of people have a really hard time learning Boingy-Boing. I was one of those people. I could not get it AT ALL! For me, it was best to move on, learn some other tricks, and then go back to the ones I missed a section or two later. I am not saying that you should skip every trick that gives you trouble. In no way am I trying to say that. I just meant that sometimes, it is best skip it and come back later. If you end up skipping a lot of tricks, then you will be extremely limited though, so try to minimize your skipping as much as possible. Only skip a trick if it seems like it is absolutely impossible, and there is no way in the world you will ever get it. Thats just my recommendation.

1 Like

If I wasn’t allowed to skip Boingy-Boing, I would still be at that trick now.
But offcourse, in many situations it makes sense not to skip tricks, because you might need some of the same moves in the next trick.
But what matters more is to have fun, and get the feeling that you are making progress - otherwise yoyo’ing will get tedious.

1 Like