Yoyo science fair projects!

Does anyone have any ideas? Something thats tough, and not middle school or elementary. Something interesting and award winning.

What would happen if you light a gasoline drenched yo-yo on fire and play it? :stuck_out_tongue:

No, don’t do that.

Physics! Yo-yo is just physics condensed into something fun. A recommend maybe something of human performance. If you have any yo-yoers in your are that is. If you don’t then apply that idea to yourself and experiment by performing the exact same routine in different situations.

Dude, just do something easier like a solar fernis, I don’t get why everyone has to incorporate yoyos into there school projects.

What’s your problem? Its something I like to do, and I hate science so I don’t want to get bored when I am doing my project.

Physics is the only practical application I can think of, sorry pal, just look up the physics of a yoyo and compare the different divisions, you should get a good grade if you apply yourself and no one else has done this in your school like a million times. Good Luck.

you could do something having to do with anodization and the chemical process… this isnt specific to yoyos though, and is highly dangerous so i would advise strongly against it

last year i did how a yoyo works

its gotta be inquiry so like full of graphs and stupid stuff like that

Maybe something related to spin time. Like how different types of lube give a different effect than a clean bearing. That would at least be a quantity that’s easy enough to measure and make sense out of.

Then why suggest it? >.>

The only tough thing about a yoyo is the design process. The rest is just too simple.

Simplicity is okay. Take something simple and put it into big words. For my science fair project, I did it on The amount of oxidation occurring between a stainless steel bearing and a chrome bearing, and the recovery amount using a thin viscosity bearing lubricant. Essentially, I took YYJ and YYF bearings, rusted them, then lubed them to see how much rust went away. I got a perfect score.

you should make a complex pully out of your yoyo’s :smiley:

You could do somthing about Gryoscopes. I’m not sure how it works, but yoyos are subject to gryscopic procession, as well as our home planet. Im sure a quick talk with a science teacher and some research could get you something

Very nice!

Dude, no problem here. I was just bluntly saying, not everything can be tied into yoyo. I say this wouldn’t be a good experiment because yoyos have to many variables that you can’t monitor. Like throw power, spin speed, how much grip the silicone gets on the string. It just wouldn’t be a very good experiment. I could only think of doing something explaining gyroscopic properties of spinning objects. like when you throw only half a yoyo.

You could do a physics experiment to predict an outcome. For example, you could try to predict the spin time of a yoyo after being dropped, not thrown, on different length strings. If string that is “X” inches long gets you “Y” spin time… then how long will the yoyo spin with string that is “Z” inches long?

Or you could predict how long it would take a yoyo to travel from point A to point B after being dropped, not thrown, on different length strings. This could be achieved through use of motion sensor-stop watches. Gravity causes objects to fall at 9.8 Meters per Second per Second. How much drag does the string cause? What is the terminal velocity of the yoyo?

In these experiments you could compare different yoyos to see how size or shape effects air resistance/aerodynamics.

These are the only things I could think of without too many variables to take into account.

i was thinking that too, and it would be great for elementary or maybe middle but it seems he is in high school.

Use the yoyo itself to demonstrate scientific principles.

Distribution of mass (centreweighted vs rimweighted) planes of spin and gyroscopic stability ( show the yoyo sleeping straight, then throw it at 45, then chuck a ufo, to show the yoyo fighting to stay upright)

There are TONNES of possibilities, show them what happens when you try an aerial with a responsive yoyo with no cw, then put a counterweight on it, and to it again.)

what i did for this years project was i compared the spin time, and stability of a konkaved bearing, 10 ball yyf spec, and terrapin X bearing. then the response of different lubes.