Common yoyo myths, true?

I was thinking about doing something similar to a yoyo version of mythbusters. It would NOT be filmed. It would be a weekly update to the main thread talking about another yoyo myth.

Some myths I was thinking about doing:

Stability - where does the weight go to make it more stable?
Side Effects - do heavier weights kill spin times?
Bearings - Do those expensive bearings do anything?

Feel welcome to suggest some!

Do you, or does anyone you know, have a controlled environment in which to properly conduct the necessary experiments?

I think this would be sweet!

Not filmed/taped/recorded and edited?

Waste of time then.

I think what should be done is as follows:

First, propose the “myth” to test. Of course, you can use your own submissions, but you should also use “viewer submitted videos” as well to help add more data to the mix. Have a cut-off time, then produce the segment.

Two things:
Don’t worry about time unless it’s going too long and dragging out. You can always shorten things up a bit here and there as necessary, provided you explain what you’re doing.
Keep a schedule. Say, a 2 week submission period, followed by a 2 week edit schedule(or less) and keep your deadlines.

You have choices. You can do over-lapping stuff. Such as, Myth 1 submissions, and when Myth 1 Submissions close, you can use the 2 weeks of editing for Myth 1 for Myth 2 submissions to roll in. ONce you’re done editing Myth 1, you can go on to Myth 2. That is, if we’re doing things “TV-land” style. But without an editing and screening department, you’ve got a LOT of work to do by yourself.

You might want to restrict yourself to “A Myth a Month” so you don’t overload yourself.

You might want a host. You might also want a voice-over talent, who might also be the host.

Some of your stuff is more interview-oriented, which combined with skilled demonstrations, would help bring the point “home” better.

Myth Ideas:
Do expensive strings last longer?
How much stretch/bounce is in a string?
Dry vs. Lube vs. Dry Play in a long spin shoot-out.
How to judge stiffness and/or softness in a string?

More subjective would be one that I deal with: Which solvent seems to provide the best results for cleaning a bearing? Combine this with my Dry vs. lube vs. dry play. You’d need a batch of identical bearings. 1 as a control, 3 for the solvents(lighter fluid, acetone, mineral spirits), and then do you treat or lube any, and if so, which ones?

You could do myths about weight ratio of the CW to the yoyo for 5A.

There’s lots of myths to explore.

If anyone should do it, it should be you. If you need to borrow equipment such as a Ti yoyo, someone will probably trust you with theirs.

I’ve done some tests of my own (nothing too scientific) and found that vibe definitely makes my yoyos slightly more responsive. All in all, this sounds like an awesome idea. I’d be happy to contribute in any way possible.

That does make sense, seeming as the response would rub much more against the string when vibe occurs.

Yeah that’s what I’ve thought. I’m also in a science research methods class at school (if 5 geeks counts as a class) and I’ve talked to my teacher a bit about the possibility of doing a yoyo-related research project at some point. He’s a physics guy so he thought it was interesting.

You should really record it, although many of these ‘Myths’ have been proven. You should remember that there are 20,000+ ‘professional’ throwers out there, and I am sure a majority of them have tested your theories to a high extent.

Heres a record of a couple tests I did-

STYY Bandit equipped with a Twisted Trifecta bearing (Known for it’s weight of 70 grams)
Test one- 1.24 Minutes
Test two- 1.41 Minutes
Test thee- 1.17 Minutes

Stability began to become a loss around 1.00 - 1.10 as a summary of the three tests.

You need to do that to become play significant role in the scientific studies of weight distribution and such.

Also, for it to be very legitimate, you would pretty much need a machine to ‘throw’ the YoYo to properly study the effects, and not the strength of the throw

I’m thinking the robot that Mythbuster’s used to do the “can a sword cut through another sword” would be a good starting point. Of course, scale it down and change the orientation and of course massively downgrade the strength. It just won’t be cheap to build it, much less calibrate it and make it reliable and consistent. The positive parts are the smaller scale and less power should make it much safer.

I don’t know how sterile we want the tests. I’d say putting it in a regular room with some “normal” climate control and keep the temperature and humidity fairly consistent and rapid air movement to a minimum should be sufficient for a test environment. You’d want probably 5 cameras: Top down, 1 front, 1 back, 2 for sides. Make the top-down, front and 1 side high speed capable.

1 Like

I like the idea but it does sound like a very large project.

Yuki

Best bearing, best string, best lube, etc etc…serioously,why bother! Every thing that has been listed is subjective, not too mention hinging on so many different variables, as to make testing pointless.
YoYo is about having fun with a yoyo.
I suppose if this is what is fun about yoyoing to you, whether you can determine what bearing spins the longest, wondering what string is the ‘best’(whatever that means) good luck.
Good luck getting someone to throw at the exact same rpm every throw.
But hey, if its your bag, go do it, but I honestly feel it just reenforces that these kind of things really make a difference to yoyo, when any yoyo’r whos been doing it for a while and is honest, will admit they are quite insignifigant.
The best yoyo, bearing, string, lube, etc etc for you, …is the one that works the best for you, not for me.
I understand that to many reviews and shootouts can be helpful when learning, but the sooner a new yoyo’r comes to accept that they are eventually going to have to decidde for themselves what works best, they are that much closer to really just having a lot of fun.
We all need to allow ourselves a chance to discover and explore…you know… dont take my word for it, check it out yourself.
When I started I messed with bearing almost non stop, strings as well, I understand this is part of the process we all must go through, and it really is best if you just allow ourself/yourself, and others, to have their own journey of discovery.
Long story short, the less attention we give these ‘ideas’ the quicker newbies will come to realise they are not really that important.
Have fun.

Wow, thanks everyone for the support! Now that I look back upon it, filming it is kind of a necessity. I will only do it once a month, however. There is no way I could get all that done every week. I have a lot of work to do before we even start, location etc. I also need to find a co-host; I’m afraid I’ll be far too boring on my own.

WHere do you live??

Where everyone cool lives, North Carolina :wink:

2 Likes

That’s asking a bit much for the YoYo community. Also, these tests aren’t necessary considering I could do just about any trick on a Fast 201. An optimal YoYo is the YoYo you siliconed and customized yourself.

Hi. I think you should do this project for sure! I could possibly help with some of your experimental design, as I live somewhat close to you.

If you want to science it up, just let me know, I’m a research lab tech at a med school. Plus I need to come to one of your meets, sometime! :smiley:

Wow, thanks for the offer! I can probably work out most of the scientific stuff, I’ve been dabbing in it since I was little.

Feel free to come to any meet! We always welcome everyone!