Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

i made my first bimetal design yesterday. not sure how to tell the moi but its pretty standard for today’s popular specs. 56x44, 4.5 gap i dont remember, bodyweight is 41g, + 3 for guts and 20g for rings makes it 64g. no idea how to find the moi for it or calculate it to see how itd play but it looks pretty dope! Thanks for the help @MarkD

IMG_20200621_120436_211

5 Likes

You really do love those flat rims! The steel rings look well executed.

1 Like

Haha i do like them. Not as much as spikes tho :wink:

1 Like

Here’s one I had a lot of fun making. Kind of a play off of the idea behind @MarkD s umbra and @chaosgow s 543, having identical specs in the diameter and width. meet the 50/50! 50mm diameter and 50mm width with a 4.35 gap and a 10mm axle. the total weight is somewhere between 59 and 60 grams as well, lending to that 50 number again as best as possible. Knowing that this was going to be a wide throw (but not super super wide) I wanted to make it a bit more unconventional and go with a nice and comfortable organic shape to make it stand out a bit more against other wide throws (the VI IX gave me a lot of inspiration here since it was a decently wide organic as well) im really happy with how this one came out.5050finalmaybe4 5050finalmaybe3

5050finalmaybe

3 Likes

That looks like the umbra and the edgeless combined lol

1 Like

That was sorta the goal :joy: except this is a lot smaller than both at 50mm diameter

2 Likes

Wide organics don’t usually look nice but that does, well done

4 Likes

Thanks! Yeah the profile is a little iffy in the looks for sure but the cup makes up for it imo.

2 Likes

Keep toying with it, it’s possible to make it better. Start learning how to add grooves in the profile to add some texture to both the feel and look.

You’re doing good though, keep it up!

2 Likes

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I think you’re right about a groove or something of the like. It almost looks a little too clean/organic which kinda takes away from it. Definitely gonna keep.messing with this one.

1 Like

I tweaked the design a bit, im glad I listened to you and kept working on it to make it better. I think this is the best I can get it and I think it looks a lot better than before. I added a little groove by the inverse angle to make it pop a bit more and give it something to stand out, changed the rims up to make it not seem as wide and to make the shape look more appealing, and a bigger spike bc i love spikes/matador play. Lmk what you guys think of the update! Specs are all the same.

IMG_20200624_133138_078

5 Likes

I think it’s an improvement!

1 Like

here is my attempt at a yoyo just for fun

7 Likes

V7- Next attempt on what money can not buy

9 Likes

Very soon :wink:

5 Likes

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

So I created a quick yoyo model (using SideEffects Houdini) to see how heavy it would be printed with my new 3D resin printer. I designed it to be undersized: 40mm x 50mm, and each half came in under 10g as estimated by the Chitubox slicer software I use.

Now, even if I add Duncan aluminum performance rings (5.3g each), OD side effects and a bearing (5.2g total), the whole thing would only weigh in at around 34g. I guess the only way to make a resin yoyo with a normal yoyo weight is to make a really big one. :nauseated_face:

4 Likes

Do you have a picture of the drawing? Are the walls large enough?

You know, the walls are most likely not remotely thick enough. But I have a sneaking suspicion that in order for it to have decent weight, the body would have to be an entirely solid bell. That means effectively zero weight distribution.

1 Like

Resin seams to be way lighter then PLA the model above I posted ticks in at 29gram with an Radius of 5cm

2 Likes