Yoyo Boomers Club

I’ll let it simmer to see if there are any objections to this idea.

1 Like

The Operator: SoM First Impressions

Honestly, I wouldn’t change much, if anything, about the Operator at this point. I absolutely love everything about this yo-yo. The design has that bubbly, comfortable rounded organic feel that I wouldn’t want to mess with. It’s already perfect in my hands.

The engraving on the inside is stunning and completely different from any other yoyo I have in my collection. The grind finish? Phenomenal! It’s got that palm grind capability that screams killer finish. I wouldn’t touch the grooves or rings on the inside either because even though they are a bit wide, they make thumb grinds super smooth and easy.

The YYBC weight ring gimmick that we might be shooting for, it’s still a good feature. I don’t think all the o-rings need to be uniform/interchangeable for each model we would be coming out with. I tried the larger ones from the original Workhorse model, and they added some nice rim weight. Even though they rattled, you couldn’t tell during spins and they stayed in place, so it’s a non-issue for me. If I ever wanted different rings, I’d just hunt them down online or at a hardware store, so that’s no big deal on my side.

As for the response, it’s perfect. Tight binds, no slipping, exactly what you want in a yoyo. The matador spikes are hands down the best I’ve ever used, I can’t stop matador spinning it and I absolutely love it. Pull starts and matador spins legitimately feel like cheating, haha, it’s great.

Overall, it reminds me a bit of the Bathysphere, which I already love, but the Operator edges it out in my book because it is a little less centerweight feeling for me. It does tilt a little from time to time, but honestly, it helps me focus on correcting bad habits. That’s not a dealbreaker at all.

All in all, if we shipped this yoyo as-is today, I’d be happy. You can always pop in some different rings for added rim weight and stability if you want to customize the feel, but the shape, feel, grind, weight, spike, and response are nearly perfect as they stand, which is incredible for a first proto. I’d hate to tweak the design and lose what makes this yoyo special already potentially.

My only tiny nitpick is the occasional tilt, but that’s probably more on me than the yoyo. It’s something I can work with happily for what I have in my hands right now or fiddle with o-rings on. If there is a way to add just a smidge more rim weight without any worry of changing everything else I’m playing right now, that’s cool, if not, I’m on board with team Ship It!

8 Likes

I’m a big fan of the Bathy, so I’m glad to hear this is similar, if not better!

1 Like

Any other ideas for Merch/Logos for Yovember - Movember out there?

1 Like

Do we want a tee? Stickers? PILLOWS?

1 Like

T-Shirt = Yes
Stickers = Yes Is there a way we can get little vinyl mustache stickers to put on our yoyos?
YYBC Mustache Combs? (Maybe our 3D printer people can help?)
Hat(s)?

Not sure how much time you need, but we are about 2 weeks out from launch.

2 Likes

Let me put together some stuff to show you this week.

3 Likes

A mustache pillow would be absurd. Absurd I say. My wife would roll her eyes too hard for me to buy that anyway

Shot glasses for the occasion.

As for 3d printing a mustache comb sounds doable. The desire to add a YoYo pick tip to the comb is high. Maybe I’ll fiddle in fusion.

6 Likes

Before I finished reading your last sentence I was mentally like “we could put a string pick on the end!” hahaha

4 Likes

Great minds!

4 Likes

Great or grated?

2 Likes

Yes!!

3 Likes

A mustache comb/string pick would be sooooooo cool!

5 Likes

That’s the most incredibly niche product I could think of and I would absolutely need one. Wish I could convince Kent to make one.

3 Likes
5 Likes

@archiesdad Are you planning on shaving the beard and leaving just the moustache for Yovember?
I would honestly hate to see that epic beard and hard work go away, haha.

1 Like

How dare you suggest that man shave off his beautiful beard :interrobang:

2 Likes

Where I live, a beard is a social status— +1 Beard Hair = +1 Charisma. They teach it in kindergarten, man!

4 Likes

I have been growing my Beard and Mustache since June 1st.

My plan is to go into the barber on November 1st and get a Straight Shave to start the month.

3 Likes

Same here. Had a clipper eat a good portion of my beard when it suddenly decided to become a wood chipper instead of a nice clip.

2 Likes