YoYo behaviour tech questions

Hi All,

I am new in yo-yoing, just have a classic transaxle YoYo and learned just some basic tricks like rock the baby and other very basic stuff.

As a beginner I have a few technical doubts on Yo-Yos for my next steps, for which I didn’t find any proper clear answer on the web… if you could help please! Many thanks!

1. I see everywhere in their descriptions only advantages (maintenance needing apart) for ball bearing yo-yos with respect to transaxle ones. As their cost is similar, what are their disadvantages wrt to transaxle yo-yos as these are sold as-well?
  2. I saw that for off string tricks, most of the tutorials are underlying the importance of unresponsive yo-yos, so as we can feel free to decide when having them coming back with binding. However, I see that my shop is offering for offstring only a Yomega Xodus II which is detailed as been responsive. What are the advantages and disadvantages in having a responsive YoYo like that for offstring? Is it responsiveness grade anyway less than standard classic yo-yos?
  3. Can we use binding with a low responsiveness YoYo or does it have to be completely unresponsive to allow this?

Thanks all for you me time.

2 Likes

Sorry I am on the road right now. But maybe read this first:

For the most part it has todo with these different play styles. And second the history/development of yoyos over the years.

Maybe watch some videos for 0A-5A on YouTube to see what they are like.

Thanks a lot for the link.
I found there some nice info and I realised I did a mistake while talking about OFFSTRING :wink: I simply didn’t know that the yoyo was not attached to the string !

Anyway I still didn’t find answer to the downsides of the ball bearing yoyos with respect to the transaxle (question 1), and why there are butterfly shaped yoyos for string tricks that are responsive …

Many thanks

2 Likes

Transaxles were, I believe, were a precursor to bearings which are superior. I learned a lot of my first tricks with responsive butterfly shaped yoyos (Replay and Sage) because I found the wider shape comfortable and the catch zone was wider making it easier to learn the tricks. Learning tricks on a narrow yoyo is great and will help you perfect your throw but it’s all about what is fun for YOU. Learning tricks with a plastic responsive yoyo of any shape is a fine. Some people start with a metal unresponsive yoyo.

1 Like

It’s basically history. Transaxle yoyos have been on the market first. There are possibilities to do tricks with them but its kinda limited (please 0a people don’t hit me).

With unresponsive yoyos you get much more spin time and have other possibilities for tricks which are not possible with responsive or fixed axle yoyos.

2 Likes

I would stay away from the Exodus II. I have one and it is very heavy and uncomfortable and awkward. The Recess First Base is an awesome starter and lots of people love it. It comes with bearings for both responsive and unresponsive play. It’s plastic and is usually highly recommended to beginners. Transaxle yoyos are a thing of the past since ball bearing yoyos are far superior as well as very affordable.

Exactly, as it looks like history, I am wondering why they are still sold together with ball bearing yoyo and their cost is basically similar…

1 Like

Thank you for the tip! So, I cancel the Exodus from the list eheh

As regarding your suggestion, unfortunately it is not available here in Italy on Amazon. However I see that it is a butterfly shaped is that correct? Would you suggest that shape or a standard convex shape? I saw many good reviews for beginner/intermediate player for the Yomega Raider, but it is convex… I understand the shape selection depends on what we want to do…?

As regarding transaxle, I understand it is thing of the past, so I don’t understand why they are still sold, as there is no a difference in cost.

Is mainly a 2A yoyo. Not sure what style u wanna focus on first.

There a potentially more Yo-Yo collectors then good players. Yoyos are not just toys for a lot of people. They are collectibles and also nostalgic goods.

Its just a mattter of taste. Some people like old stuff others like the challenge because the tricks are harder to do. A transaxle yoyo is not as forgiving for errors while playing.

Don’t go with the raider, its a nice yoyo for 2a but you have to modify before you can use it properly for it.

First base or velocity are common recommendations for beginners.

The first decision you have to make is what style you would like to learn first

Thanks Stefan.
I am learning basics tricks and like string tricks without renouncing to the basic easy walk the dog , rock the baby and similar… I have a Yomega Power Brain XP so I’d like to switch to a ball bearing.

Taking in account what Amazon is offering in Italy and all your suggestions, I was looking to a Magic Yoyo V6 metal… how does this sound?

YoYo brads easily available here are Yomega, Magic Yoyo, Yostar, Yoyo Factory, Henrys…
if you can suggest something, I can have a look if it is available here… thanks.

I would appreciate your advice on the magicyoyo V6 for my beginner purpose as per my previous description, tnxs

Is definitely an ok beginner yoyo. Most people I guess would suggest something plastic to start with since you will hit the ground (and potentially yourself) with your first Yo-Yo a couple of times.

Maybe buy a YoYoFactory Replay for the beginning. Pro version is unresponsive none pro version is (semi)responsive.

1 Like

I am not sure about the Replay (beginner model). It has these pads that protrude and affect the spin time (and the amount of strings you can jam into the groove). It will also mean you will have to buy a new yoyo later. I would recommend that @Luke97 get three things: A Replay Pro, a flat size C bearing (not slim-line, but a flat bearing), and yoyo lube. For the lube, I would get thin and thick if possible, but if you cannot, then just get thin and add more lube. This will give you the option to swap from unresponsive to responsive whenever you feel like it.

All the stuff ur listing is way more expensive then the Yo-Yo itself. Then I would buy a pro and a none pro it costs less and you have both handy and do not need to change anything or fiddle with lube.

1 Like

That is an option too, but I would still recommend yoyo lube to elongate the life of the bearing and make the yoyo remain smooth.

1 Like

Thanks all for your kind replies! Much appreaciated.

I checked YOYO Factory Europe website and the Replay is not there. I can find it only on eBay or an Amazon shop.

However I see the YOYO Factory Arrow with similar characteristics and the possibility to switch from responsive to unresponsive changing the 2 bearings that are coming in the box.

What about that? Is the Replay better and preferable to it?

The replay is definitely more often suggested as a very good beginner/intermediate throw.
I own a arrow with weight rings which I really enjoy. This is preference… imo

Tnx.
I understand.
Unfortunately I cannot find a replay, including in their own European shop.

So I am wondering if the Arrow can make the same work.

There is also a nice starter kit with Arrow, lube, strings and extras.

1 Like

IMO you should just buy the arrow, then if you don’t like it you can buy a different one that you like better, over time you’ll begin to find your preferences and buy new yoyos accordingly

1 Like

Yes I would second that