Your favorite science topics!

I saw a video of Richard Feynman talking about molecules vibrating. He seemed so excited. When people love what they do, it is amazing getting to listen to them. I may have to look cymatics up sometime :slight_smile:

Astrophysics & Marine Biology specifically shark biology.

What is one thing about sharks that you think is really interesting or mind boggling? :slight_smile:

Just watched a show about Megalodon (prehistoric shark) as big as a Greyhound Bus!

The Mandela Effect is also a fun thing to explore.

Most notably Bernstein/Berstain Bears phenomenon.

So many things. Not sure I could bring it down to just one. Been reading/studying sharks since I was a kid. They’re highly misunderstood, and so vital to the world.

Here is something…Sharks and Cancer. For years it was thought that Sharks couldn’t, or didn’t, get cancer. Researchers are now finding that they can get cancer, but that their immune system is so great that for the most part they can always fight it off! There are some instances that they’ve found sharks with tumors still, but it’s not 100% known how long they’ve had them, or if they were in the process of destroying them. So much about their immune system is thought to possibly help in the fight against numerous “deadly” diseases now.

Another thing that fascinates me, is just how little we actually know about the ocean. Man knows more about space than we do about the oceans on the planet we live on :o

That is really cool!

More on Cymatics

Just watched a show on Amazon Prime called “Everything and Nothing”. Pretty good! Made me think of things in a different way. One experiment: Put a set alarm clock (the old type that you can see the clapper striking the bells) in a vacuum. Sound waves travel through air, so you cannot hear the clock when it goes off because of the vacuum. You CAN see the clock go off…so what is the light traveling through? Nothing?

Define the nothingness that light is traveling through.

^Right, it’s weird how light needs no medium to travel on. People used to think it traveled on what was called the aether.

Netflix has tons of science info!

Watch anything with Neil in it :wink:

Bill Nye Saves the World was pretty good if you were looking for some science info but it doesn’t go very in depth on anything in my opinion.

There is a great scifi short story called “Light of Other Days”. It is based on something the science community is working on. The story is about “slow glass”. A good pane of slow glass would take the light 10 years or more to pass through. A “glass farmer” would keep the panes in his field for more than 10 years, a person would purchase it and when they put it in their window(that originally had a drab view, say of a brick wall). they would now have a better thing to look at out of their window. The concept of this story was amazing.

It sounds awesome but at the same time, I’m a bit confused. I may have to look this one up :wink:

I know a youtube channel that will help you out, its called kurzgaet i think.also im fascinated by the bodys immune system and all the cells within in that help protect you.

if i could do one thing on an island it would be FINGERSPINS!

I’ve been interested in Astrobiology lately as well as microtubules (which I’m writing my thesis on).

I also enjoy cell biology! I’m currently learning about fluorescent microscopy. Here is a merged picture of different stains on CHO cells I took today :slight_smile: I still have a lot to learn (I messed up big time with my last batch of slides), but I’m getting better. At least I hope I am :wink:

Very nice. I worked on developing high content screening (basically automated fluorescent microscopy) assays for a couple of years, several jobs ago. One of the most fun projects I had while still at the bench.

To the OP, avain behavior has always fascinated me. As an undergrad worked 3 years with a professor who studied bird-window collisions. He taught me how to be a scientist.

I found this beautiful little gem while looking through a slide on Thursday. It’s a cell during prophase/ prometaphase (however you classify it). The nuclear envelope (the outer membrane of the nucleus) is being broke down so that the cell can split up its genetic material before splitting into two cells! After seeing tons of the same things, this oddity was very exciting!