You can use the same song.

Lately I’ve been seeing youtube/facebook/forum posts regarding the use of songs in contests and whatnot. Comments like “Oh, isn’t that Paul Han’s song?!”, “Peter Pong used that song!” and such to the point that it feels like only one person can use a particular song nowadays. “Why did Mickey copy/use Peter Pong’s song?” [Mickey has been using G-Dragon’s “Crayon” in demos lately] or something like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtsWxj7JXCs

And yet people throw fits as if Mickey’s not original or something, ‘copying’ the same song Peter used.

What I’m trying to say is… everyone can use any song they want, even if it’s the same song used by another person! I understand that if a good freestyle/video is done to a particular song it sticks as “someone’s song” but still…

It’s everyone’s song!

Yeah seriously.

But come on guys, they’re just saying that cause the songs DO actually get old, so if ya don’t want the “hey you copied Jensen!” comments, find different music! There is some great stuff out there that can still be discovered…

#yoyoersshouldbehipstersintermsofmusic

Screw that.

Use what you want. I’ve had to play the same song 2-3 times at a contest. I don’t care. If that’s what the player wants, that’s what the player gets! That’s what they’ve worked to.

If you use the same song another player already used in a prominent freestyle, it is usually fair to assume at least one of the following:

• you are trying to leech off that player/freestyle’s popularity
• you want people to compare you to that player
• you think you can do a better job using that song than that player
• you have a hard time coming up with your own ideas and style, or don’t care enough to

…and consequently, in the rather vast majority of cases I have little inclination to watch or encourage such freestyles.

2 Likes

I disagree. I can see your point though.

Personally, I think usually it’s just two people come up with the same idea to use the same song independently.

I have been requested to re-play someone else’s music, so for those, yeah, what you say makes a lot of sense.

When I see a video or freestyle to “Take a Walk” I just get depressed. It’s a depressing song. So yeah, no moar of that one. :wink: Other than that, I’m not fussed at all. Some songs seem like obvious choices and I can believe the selections were made independently.

If it’s a good song, I don’t care how many players use it. At the end of the day, it’s still an entirely different routine and an entirely different interpretation of the song.

Yuki

If two players happen to use the same song in the same contest then that’s just coincidence and I don’t fault either player for it as Studio42 said.

However, if someone is aware the other person is already using the song, and then proceeds to build a routine around it anyways, that’s a different story. Why would you knowingly want to use the same song?

Be original. There are probably millions of songs to choose from.

While I don’t think this way, I’m sure many people do - which is why I would shy away from using songs that others have used in the past. Of course it’s possible that you may show up to a contest and somebody uses the same song as you, then you just gotta deal with it. To me, song choice is pretty important, because after watching a contest winning freestyle, many times the song used will become associated with that freestyle - whenever I hear that no shortcuts intro by Gramatik, I think of Zach’s Nats 2012 freestyle, Dirty Harry I associate with Jensen Kimmitt etc…

If a player uses a song, it’s probably because that player likes the song and thinks they can do a good freestyle with it. On a side note, I agree with GregP, PLEASE, no more “take a walk.”

1 Like

My speakers on my laptop are blown. Use whatever song you want, I’m paying attention to your YOYOing anyway.

I was just thinking about this! I’m surprised there are not a large amount of younger teens using this in competition. It would be awesome if Jensen used Dirty Harry for his worlds freestyle this yeAr and won… Just sayin

Music inspires. Who cares if two (or more) people use the same song during a competition, and especially in different competitions from one another?

How I interpret the song in respects to the routine I’ve developed might vary greatly from how GregP (for example) would interpret the song in respects to his routine.

Now, if there is a known rivalry between me and GregP, and I was gutsy enough to use the same song he does… Then I better be able to back up that statement with my sills and talents.

Agreed!

PS, if you can do Dizzy Baby and a Lindy Loop, you’re golden. :wink:

Maaaaaaaaaan, I can’t do those, BUT if you think I can win by doing a handful of Man on Trapeze… Then I have a chance.

1 Like

Elephark has a good point, and I do agree in some degree…but still, that doesn’t make the second/third/fourth person any less of a player. I think it’s in the same realm as using the same trick elements [or whole tricks] someone else has used.

What if someone just likes the same track as another player’s? I happen to like “Better Off Alone” by Alice Deejay that I use it in almost every small demo/contest I do but it’s more known to be Jason Lee’s song from way back. Am I “unoriginal” or riding in Jason’s success? Of course not. I just love the song. That’s that.

Back in the day, no one complained when almost everyone used the same Eurobeat track or the Mortal Kombat theme. Why should there be a ‘calling dibs on the newest song’ and feeling all superior now?

growl
Use what you want.
If it was used before, don’t worry. The reason you use a song is because it works for your play style. If it brings out your natural flow, go for it. To limit yourself of a song that could potentially work the best for you, is stupid, simple as that.
And anyone who tries to say otherwise…

Bark

Haru