Yomega brain

The yomega brain has always been something I’ve wanted to try. What type of brain was the best quality? XP, standard, or what? You can tell me they are all bad, but I will still try one :+1:

2 Likes

It’s kind of an ultra-beginner yoyo, you can’t get it to sleep because the “brain” clutch kicks in and locks on the string at the bottom of the throw, forcing it to return. No tug required.

1 Like

Okay, I still want to try one. Have you had any experience with one?

2 Likes

I am an advocate for the brain for total beginners who have never thrown a yo-yo. It really does all the hard work of figuring out how to get the yoyo to come back to your hand. But you can also throw a sleeper if you throw it hard enough.

It’s not really practical for doing a lot of string tricks though. You can work through your basic 50s era trick ladder with one no problem, but it’s not really ideal for anything past that.

If you really want to try one, go for the classic yomega brain, or the X brain. Best case scenario, you really like it and keep it in your pocket just to play catch with yourself. Worst case scenario, you have an excellent yoyo to kick down to someone who has never touched a yoyo in their life.

4 Likes

Go for the standard Brian. The xp has a switch so you can turn the Brian off but mine broke easily.

1 Like

Brian? Why not a Walter or Theodore instead :wink:

2 Likes

Damn you autocorrect :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

Er…

If a person can’t learn ‘all that work of figuring out how to get the yoyo back to your hand’, then there really is no hope beyond that.

Better to begin with a yoyo which requires you to learn the basic throw and return.

I don’t understand the place for the Brain. The moment you learn to throw and return, it is useless. Better off starting with a standard responsive yoyo.

1 Like

My 4 year old loves his. He can’t use a regular tug responsive, yet…

3 Likes

Yes, I suppose for children under 5, it could be a good Introduction.

My 3 year old managed to do some basic throw and return with a little purpleheart fixed axle I made him.

2 Likes

I think that moment of nailing the throw and return is still a lot of fun. Being able to do that for the first time is still an amazing experience. The response of the Brain is a lot more reliable for new players than something like the Butterfly/XT which seems to depend a lot on the string thickness and a lot of other variables.

I like the brain for beginners but if you wanted something that will work beyond just the basic return, go with Yoyofactory FAST 201

1 Like

I’ll try to look around this weekend, I should have a few still. If I do, pay shipping and I’ll send it to you. It’s fine, I can perform tricks on them just fine without the clutch activating. It just takes some practice.

2 Likes

You can get it to sleep, but it will not continue sleeping below a certain RPM, which is when the clutch kicks in and it returns.

That would be awesome!