Yo-Yo Ethics

I’m new, too… and I like the hugs and rainbows! :wink:

Moar rainbows, though, please. (mmm… Skittles Splash rainbows…)

But why be offended? I would just ignore it.

I guess there are some people that resent the mainstream and so when a company tries to appeal to it they resent that company. I don’t agree with that, if you don’t like the mainstream simply don’t buy from that company and leave it at that.

Just in case nobody could tell, highlight my quote. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ok, that makes sense. But, I wouldn’t penalize that company because I’m so numb to all the crazy advertising every day. I don’t hold anything against Geico or Progressive when they bombard me with 500 commercials every night I watch TV.

EDIT: I misunderstood your statement. I thought you meant to ignore the negative comments made by posters.

Why can’t the person who doesn’t like YYF just ignore a YYF thread instead of dropping hate bombs in it? Why should the people who act decently and kindly be expected to ignore it?

I think that’s backwards. I’m supposed to have a thicker skin because of someone ELSE’s issues? I would MUCH rather that person take their issues and go elsewhere. Then I don’t have to even read it, much less ignore it.

2 Likes

@boywithcap
Maybe I did miss something. I don’t mean to come off as a self-imposed expert/authority on the subject. I have seen a lot of generosity and kindness in the forums, and very little ill will. I’ve been throwing since '09. I’ve just been a “lurker” on the forums up until recently. I didn’t feel like I had anything to contribute to the conversations, or the time. I recently decided to join the fun. And that’s what I want to have here, fun.

I don’t mean to tell people what to do. I do not have that authority. I have no authority in this forum. I just wanted to promote good will and yo-yoing, and offer a thread topic that I would like to see discussed.

1 Like

You keep doing what you’re doing. Anyone who thinks this is forcing them or controlling them to be (gasp) better people just have some self-esteem issues that they need to work on.

Yoyogeezer frequently posts harsh messages, you can see he has got a pretty long history of flaming other users if you go through his last posts.

Hey now. He’s also frequently helpful on the forums. Let’s be civil!

I see the point the OP is making here. I have read posts and wondered why some posters articulate things in a way that would easily be perceived as “rude.”

But, we consider what we hope would happen…and then we have the reality. The reality is that human nature sets in, and sometimes someone who had a bad day is on the forum, and they take it out on someone who asks a simple question. Then, often times it is not even personal, some people just like to play devil’s advocate or go against the grain to encourage less one sided discussion, as they want to present the alternate point of view. Others are just argumentative anyway, and they just like to spar or have a mind war to keep the brain cells alive. They would perceive some of the “back and forth” as a debate and not an argument at all. Those who have participated in a debate club and so on, might appreciate that.

I present my point of view quite often, but I would never profess to be all goody goody, as I am quite good at sticking up for myself if it is warranted. I don’t look down on others for doing that when they have been put in that position. I have my own personal view of what is disrespectful, or offensive, and I stick to that. Everyone has different standards, so we are all working from different rules. Not all of us will see eye to eye on this.

This topic has come up fairly often, and I remember a similar thread, where Steve Brown commented that this community is no different than any other. It is no better and no worse. I agree with that. I have not set the bar for this community above the average public that I see every day. I do not expect them to be any more kind than the average. Due to that fact, I have not been disappointed or really surprised. Any surprise has come from the people who present this community as being more kind than the average, because it is not. There are some very kind and generous people within it, but there are the opposite that creates the balance.

If the Yoyoexpert forum did not have rules in place to discourage name calling, threatening, cursing and a lot of other things, you would really see true colors come to light on here. In the meantime, it is the rules and moderators that keep you from seeing what the community is really like. Without all that, you would see how bad it could really get.

I have not really used a yo-yo product that I “hated.” I have used products that I think could be packaged better, or there is a specific feature of it that I am not fond of. But, as someone who can see things from a business perspective, I have not developed a chip on my shoulder about any particular company or product to such a degree that I turn it into a personal agenda to bash them in every thread possible. For me, it is just not that deep. I try not to be such a hater, and if I do not care for a product, and see a thread start on it, I usually do not participate. I believe that any really bad product will disappear on it’s own. I decide to save my energy from starting an agenda and let nature take it’s course.

I see the OP’s point of view, but accept the reality too.

2 Likes

Yes I find it pointless to hate on others. Sometimes when I throw, people will go up to me and say that kendamas are stupid and that yoyos are better. I just tell them kendamas are fine too.

Order cannot be cultivated.

Order is virtue. And order isn’t a thing to be cultivated; you can’t say “I will be orderly”, “I will do this and I won’t do that”—then you are merely disciplining yourself, becoming more and more rigid, mechanical. Such a mind is totally incapable of coming upon this beauty that has no name, no expression. Order, like virtue, cannot be cultivated—if you cultivate humility you are obviously not humble; you can cultivate vanity, but to cultivate humility is not possible any more than to cultivate love. So order which is virtue cannot be practiced. All that one can do is to see this total disorder within and outside oneself—see it! You can see this total disorder instantly and that is the only thing that matters—to see it instantly. - J. Krishnamurti

Just a few examples of when “keepin it reallz” gone bad.

1 Like