Yo-yo Community size

Is that a serious fact, yo yo industry sales combined equal 400 million in sales per year? That would be a great quote to put in my speech if its true?

There arenā€™t even a gabillion people in the U.S. Or in the world, itā€™s estimated around 4 billion.

Gabillion isnā€™t a word either.

Wikipodia sezā€¦

:wink:

Id say about 9,000 legit yoyo enthusists, i mean that are aware of unresponsive play, and might go to a club or contest, or even compete.

But around 50, 000,000+ yoyoers, including former like people that might or mightve had 1 or 2 yoyos, and know how to walk the dog and stuff like that. Remember, there was a HUGE yoyo boom in the 60s, and another one in the 90s. Back then more people had yoyos then people now have celphones!

I think thats way too high, if your talking people that yoyo :o

But if youre talking sales in dollars, then maybe its only a bit too high.

!!! Hmm, strange. My IPod says Gabillion isnā€™t a word. The Wikipedia said (what I read) 450 billion.

Well, however. The population might be gabillion, but I know thatā€™s not how many ā€œactiveā€ throwers there are in the world.

Iā€™ve wondered this myself.

Of course, it depends on how you loosely you apply the label of ā€œyoyoer.ā€ Is it like ā€œChess Masterā€ where, once the title is obtained, itā€™s with you for life? Or is it like ā€œ1st grader,ā€ where you lose label the moment you become a second grader? Or somewhere in between, like ā€œfishermanā€ which can apply equally to someone who fishes every day as a profession, and the hobbyist who takes a fishing trip once a year?

If youā€™re going with the loosest possible definition, Iā€™d estimate that at least 80% of Americans will have played with a yoyo at some point in their lives. Extended to the world as a whole, I bet the number would still be at least 40%. So weā€™re talking billions of people.

But the stricter definition would be limited to people like us; people who yoyo practically every day, learn advanced tricks, take a throw with them wherever they go, have callouses on their fingers, could land a trapeze in their sleep, etc. Not people who have quit, or are taking a break, nor occasional dabblers; only active, ā€œseriousā€ players. Thatā€™s the number I think the OP is really looking for, and thatā€™s the one Iā€™d be very curious to learn myself. My estimate would be about 30 thousand worldwide, but Iā€™m just pulling that number out of thin air.

EDIT:Changing my estimate. :-X

the # of people varies where you live i know in china and japan thereā€™s a whole lot more people than other places.
the significance is that its not common which makes it amazing to watch which make people think. That and since its not common it gives itself an edge kinda. Plus The yoyo community is very diverse from the styles and age of the people, to just being all around welcoming to everyone! Plus its a different way to express things how do I put this Yo-Yoing is more of an art not so much of a hooby.

I hear that the yoyo scene outside of the states is much bigger than it is here. Like iirc in an interview, someone mentioned there being thousands of people at eyyc one year. Iā€™d say the number of enthusiasts is more than just 9000. But it really depends on what peopleā€™s definition of an enthusiast is.

ā€¦ The world population is rapidly approaching 8 billion.

1 Like

It just hit 7billion less than a year ago, but probably 7.4 billion by now

People might say that the number of members on a forum wouldnā€™t be an accurate representation of the real number of people out there, but iā€™d have to disagree. Someone currently practicing modern yoyoing has visited a yoyo website, thereā€™s no way around that. Iā€™d have to believe that sometime during their yoyo website visits theyā€™ve joined a forum. When i think of the yoyo community iā€™m classifying them as people who are up to date with most modern yoyo concepts and throw on a regular basis. Almost everyone has had some contact with a yoyo in there life. All I know is Iā€™ve never meet another one, and Iā€™ve been a whole lot of places and met a whole lot of people. I think in america itā€™s a pretty small number.

I agree there has to be some statistical analysis that can be done from YYEā€™s data. Of course, you would need YYE to be willing provide that data to a Statistician.

I think the yo-yoing population (every day throwers) will always be small as long as it has the reputation of being a ā€œjust a kidā€™s toyā€.

No way do most visitors to YYE sign up for the forums. Forums are a niche community within a niche community. You would be surprised at the number of people who come here, go through the tutorials, and buy some yoyos periodically.

I donā€™t have the statistics, either, but I think it would be generous to imagine that even 50% of yoyoers who are ALSO YYE visitors (already a small percentage of the total number of yoyoers) actually sign up for the forums.

True, but you only need to a certain percentage of the total population to begin calculations. There are theoretical equations for the sample size youā€™d need, but itā€™s been too long since I took stats. Of course, the more data the better, but you donā€™t need it all (i.e. all the data from all yoyo forums).

Something interesting I would like to point outā€¦ more guests visit this forum than members do.

For example, look at the stats as of right now:
276 Guests, 149 Users (0 Buddies, 5 Hidden)

Pretty interesting to think about.

iā€™m actually surprised that YYE doesnā€™t have a unique user counter on the frontpage

By technical definition is there a community? No.

Noun

1. A group of people living together in one place, esp. one practicing common ownership: ā€œa community of nunsā€.
  2. All the people living in a particular area or place: ā€œlocal communitiesā€.

However if we were to add a third loose definition: 3. A group of enthusiasts united over the web by common interests

Then in a sense there is a community of people gathered in an area (this forum). My two sense. As for the size of the community, I know Yoyostorerewinds facebook page has over 10K likes. So we know it is at least ten thousand people, but likely more. I would call someone a yoyoer if they pick up a yoyo at least a few times a week and play with it and try to get better. A one time thrower really doesnā€™t care where it goes from there.

Why do I yoyo? I find it challenging, but in a relaxing way. I turn on some music and can literally get lost in the throwing similar to reading a good book. Where someone has to say my name a few times to get my attention. And it can have as some would call it, a zen feeling.
There is also the collectors side to it like Baseball cards and such. It has a lot of history to it too, as it is believed to be the second oldest toy in existence.

Walt Disney Studios has 6.5 million likes, that doesnt mean they have all gone. It takes 3 seconds to like a page, but it takeā€™s years to become a ā€œyoyoerā€