Yo-Yo Collectors Discussion Thread

I’m curious. Are you storing most of them in cases, displayed on the wall, or some of both? What is it about the wood throws that made you decide to collect those specifically? Is it the love of wood in general, or play preferences?

I love plastic yo-yos, but somewhat avoid keeping a lot of them around. The fact that they are inexpensive might lead me to accumulate a lot more than I want to right now. I still have a lot, but I try to limit that now to the YoyoExpert colored ones. Part of the decision to go high end was to cut down on the number of throws in my collection. I don’t mind having a ton of yo-yos, but even I have limitations. I try to have giveaways or contests occasionally to pass a few throws off and better organize the collection.

At this time, I have a few raw yo-yos on wooden stands at home, but almost all of them are stored in cases.

I like your 4 categories. I fit into all, to some extent, except #4. My collection will have a limit, and the bigger it gets, the more focused it will become. I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it though.

#1 applies to my red/black/white (clear/silver) throws
#2 applies to my Dingo collection, Genesis collection, and Shutter collection (all still growing)
#3 applies to YoyoFactory. I have at least 75 of their throws. I also have a full case of One Drop and YoyoJam. If I would collect from a company, it would be Da Fact’ry.

You should add more categories:

1. Collect all yo-yos made from a certain material (wood, Delrin, titanium).
  2. Collect all yo-yos of a certain size.

#5 would apply to me. (Ti,Delrin)
#6 applies to my micros.

I have a lot of them displayed. I have some on shelves on the wall, and yoyos have completely taken over a book case. The book case makes a pretty good display shelf. :wink:

I collect wood throws because I mainly play fixed-axle. I’ll buy a new release and if I like it I’ll try to get it in different woods. I’ve ended up with so many because all the recent releases have been good.

[quote=“TotalArtist,post:22,topic:66712”]
What kind of cases do you use?

That has evolved.  I used to have a bunch of 24 yo-yo cases.  I got tired of buying those, and made some homemade hard 40 yo-yo cases.  I’m making a few more soon, I just haven’t gotten around to it.  I’m going to re-do a homemade case for the micros too.

It is definitely storage, and only works as display, when I take a photo of the open case.  So, beyond a few double yo-yo stands, I don’t have anything resembling a display case.

My yoyo collection is made up of just what caught my eye and what I could afford. This also how I acquired my shopping bag and Pez Dispenser collections. I see it and if I have the money I buy it. My collections are not worth much but I enjoy them and that is all that matters to me.

Those are nice, I have a hard case that holds 56 or so in 3 layers of foam but it’s more for transportation than proper protection as the layers have no separation.  For display I have a couple of glass cases with things like my boxed Mg, and any packaged yo-yos (I have some original Team Losi’s and Proyos still packaged) along with my Star Wars stuff.

You’ll have to show us some photos of those when you get the chance, no rush of course. But, I’d be interested to see the setup. I took one of those hard cases to a contest once, and it was heavy. A hard case with 40 metal throws is pretty hefty, especially for a weakling like myself. I ended up showing a few people, then I put them in the trunk of the car. Not the most comfortable way to carry your throws, but it’s good for storage at home. 40 in a case means the walls of foam are thinner than usual…just enough really.

1 Like

What do you take to contests now? For MA States I just took one throw since I was really just going to watch. I’ll probably do the same at NER this weekend, although I will probably take at least one more home with me :slight_smile:

I take the medium size YYE contest bag…holds 12. Those are just some of my mains. I carry that bag inside a backpack. It’s the easiest way to carry things around, keep my hands free, and everything secure, all at the same time. I’ll be there too!

I’m willing to bet that I’ll go home with a few new throws too. It’s almost impossible not to. Maybe I’ll challenge myself. :wink: Contests are usually when I do the least shopping. I’m one of those people who attends the contest to actually sit and watch the activity on stage.

I’m wondering where you buy most of your stuff these days (retail/ebay/BST). I buy from retail mostly, if it’s a new item. If it’s sold out here by the time I get to it, I don’t have a problem using Ebay or even overseas stores, which seem to have things left in stock longer. I found a Jason Lee Shutter overseas this week. Some of the more hard to find items I usually find on BST, Ebay,or overseas with a few or less in stock.

I’m also someone who attends a contest to watch - I don’t interact with people that much, and my skills aren’t going to impress anyone :slight_smile:

Since I’ve returned to throwing, most of my yo-yos have come from YYE or Amazon (just MagicYoYos). I have got 2 from the BST and I look there often…you never know what might come up.

These make great yoyo displays! They look quite nice mounted on a formal room wall :wink:
http://soda-emporium.com/Custom-24-Soda-Bottle-Wood-Crate--P2642000.aspx

I thought you had sworn to only buy retail from YYE?

That only works if it’s in stock…

But I think I remember her saying that if it isn’t in stock on here that she’d hit the BST rather than go somewhere else.

I don’t think I swore that, cause I’d need a bible or have to raise my hand or something. :smiley: But, that’s the goal, of course. On rare occasion, when I miss a drop (Jason Lee Shutter), or pass on something that goes out of stock, then later change my mind and want one, there’s not much choice than to look elsewhere at that point.

For example, I wouldn’t buy elsewhere, if a manufacturer just refused to sell YYE a given product. But, if YYE decides not to carry a product for some reason, that’s totally different. I usually find out which one it is, and it depends on the circumstances.

I usually only buy specific yo-yos that cannot be found retail from the BST. Now that I have almost all of the past yo-yos made that I’m looking for, I rarely deal on there. I’m happy about that, because there are too many games played with that. I’m looking for one specific Avalanche now, nothing else.

The easiest way to put it, is that I buy most of my throws from YoyoExpert. :slight_smile:

Now, that looks fantastic.  You can even finish it to match your decor.  :)  The price is right too.

It depends on the circumstances. Sometimes, that is true. There are a few companies that make decisions I don’t particularly care for. It’s their business, and their choice. Sometimes it’s as simple as an association or affiliation with something or someone. As a buyer who is pretty engrossed in what’s going on these days, at times, there are businesses I’d rather not support as much as I could by going the retail route. Instead, if their product interests me, I’ll look for it on the second hand market. Having the ability to do either/or, allows me to determine how much my money will support or not, and if so, to what extent. When you start spending a lot of money on yo-yos, you make those decisions, sometimes even in the subconscious. But, those decisions are made on a case by case basis. When you see me comment that I will not buy something unless it is going to be sold at YoyoExpert, there is a specific reason why I made the decision. You probably will not see me post the exact reason though, either because it’s my prerogative and should be irrelevant to others, or I just think it’s not the proper time or place to discuss it. When I like what a business is doing, the money flows in that direction.

so I talked to David Hall yesterday, his collection is currently in storage and it’s all in boxes. The boxes take up an area 6ft wide, 8ft tall and 17ft long. He said anyone that wants it, $100k out the door :wink:

LOL. Next time you talk to him, I’d be curious to know how many throws he estimates are taking up that space. That sounds like a ton of yo-yos. I’d like to know how many throws it is, and if he has a list. 100k just might be a sweet deal. :smiley: