WYYC 2019 - The Wrong Date?

I was planning on going to this year’s WYYC in Cleveland, but realized finals day coincided with a major holiday in my religion. This wouldn’t be much of an issue for a smaller contest because my faith does not have a large population in the US, but this is the World YoYo Contest, and members of my religion make up a significant portion of people around the world (~20%) and many people that come to compete come from regions around the world where it is the majority religion. It would be like placing the WYYC on Christmas or Easter. I was wondering how we can make sure that in the future, major contests don’t fall on dates that coincide with holidays for different people around the world.

5 Likes

When planning the event we do our very best to stay off any globally important dates, be aware of school schedules, and hold the event at a time that is optimal for everyone. Unfortunately there is no way to always be 100% clear of everything for everyone, and I apologize that these dates don’t work for you and other members of your faith.

12 Likes

No need to apologize! ( but apology accepted, of course)

As long as these factors are taken into consideration from a global perspective, then you should be good!

4 Likes

This is something that would rock tbh.

All for having a contest on those dates.

Yes, but most people spend that time with family.

2 Likes