Wrongly Lubed Bearing

So applied gun lube to my bearing. I read online it could work. Made the Yoyo responsive.

So, if I apply real thin yoyo lube, is the bearing savable? Or do I need a new one for unresponsive play?

2 Likes

You can just clean the bearing in some isopropyl alcohol and then add a tiny amount of thin lube

3 Likes

If you don’t have isopropyl alcohol you can use lighter fluid as well to clean the bearing. Also you can run a bearing dry without any lube.

2 Likes

Did this just this morning, the thin lube is fine, I clean the bearing in the Zippo fluid then dry it in a little piece of towel and then just a tiny drop of lube on the top of a pin and then inside the bearing, let it spin a bit and should be fine, if you use a drop from the bottle is already too much and the yoyo will be responsive until the lube dry out

1 Like

Safe Bet:
If the bearing becomes response due to over lubed, clean the bearing with an lighter fluid (Ronsonol or ZIPPO) and shake it on a small/sealed container for 15-20 secs.

Remove the bearing from the container and let it dry on a tissue paper or just spin it a few times using tweezers until it spins dry.

Lastly put an small amount of unresponsive oil (recommend put a micro drop on a sewing needle or pin) in between the inner race, spin in a few times or do a gyroscopic flop trick and it should good to go.

2 Likes

Thank you guys for the responses. I did not have the alcohol, but have lighter fluid.

I applied the lighter fluid, and the yoyo became unresponsive. Awesome!

2 Likes