Would you ever be embarrassed by your yoyoing life?

C.S Lewis is amazing.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve never really been embarassed of yoyoing but I donā€™t like to yoyo in public sometimes because Iā€™m shy and it kind of attracts attention. I still do it sometimes though idk, just depends on my mood.

6 Likes

As an older adultā€“who started throwing only a couple of years agoā€“Iā€™m not embarrassed about my yoyoing ā€œlifeā€. However, I donā€™t really throw in public because:

• Iā€™m not skilled/smooth enough (yet) to throw without feeling an uncomfortable degree of performance anxiety.
  • I find the GPā€™s utter lack of interest in yoyoing to be disheartening. I find it easier to maintain my belief that yoyoing is hella cool if itā€™s not challenged by the complete indifference of others.
19 Likes

Wanting Social acceptance is s natural thing for teenagers I believe developmentally. Im sure it affects people differently case by case but I do think in my early years I still wouldnt have cared because most of my friends probably wouldve thought it was cool.

Interestingly enough though as an adult I know I care a lot less if someone was to think yoyoing was weird. Ironically, when I yoyo in public I can tell people occasionally look at me oddly probably cause of my age lol.

At the end of the day, if it makes me happy I dont care what others think. Ive seen a lot of more ā€œembarassingā€ hobbies and the people who do those hobbies usually embrace it.

9 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

I used to yoyo in public a lot, but I stopped after i noticed people only knew me as the kid who throws yoyos. I rather be know for for who I am as a person then what I do with my free time.

4 Likes

I love throwing in public. I yoyo at my college campus all the time. Donā€™t you love seeing the amazed look on peopleā€™s faces as they watch you?? Itā€™s the best to me. People will ask me weird things about it sometimes but you just have to over look it. Someone has asked me why I have so many Yoyos, and it was hard to give a straight answer because they have never yo-yoed before and do not understand the obsession. They may think Iā€™m crazy but in realityā€¦ I just love yo-yoing!!! I know it sounds corny but this is what your mindset should be: ā€œNever let fear stop you from doing the thing you love.ā€

11 Likes

There are just times when itā€™s inappropriate. If it seems to be the wrong time, it probably is.

2 Likes

Thank you. Possibly the best advice I ever got about yoyoing in front of non-yoyoers was flashy tricks are more impressive than tech. We all know how hard tech is, Iā€™m amazed when I see crazy good tech by any of the people at the top of the game. However, when people see something they 100% didnā€™t expect, that is when the magic happens :slight_smile:

4 Likes

If playing in public is going to turn into a performance, then yeah, be prepared to throw lots of bangers. And whenever someone asks you if you can Walk the Dog, try to up-sell them to Skin the Gerbil instead. :wink:

5 Likes

I started with yo-yos more seriously as an adult anyways and see them as awesome little physics machines so I have zero qualms with it. I however actively avoid being filmed because Iā€™m not polished in the slightest. There are two things you can count on me having in public. A Leatherman and a yo-yo.

7 Likes

I can see where the guy in the OPā€™s story is coming from. I have a pretty large professional circle of people that I interact with. Very few of them know that I yoyo or have a yoyo collection. I kind of prefer it that way.

Most people tend not to understand and I donā€™t want to have to justify it to every person that finds out I have an interest in it. I actually take joy in having something very unique to myself that most people donā€™t understand or have an appreciation for.

5 Likes

Iā€™m not embarrassed to yoyo in public and I yoyo everywhere. Put videos up on my personal social media accounts etc. My wife isnā€™t embarrassed of having me yoyo in public next to her either.

But I can kind of anticipate that one day my kids might be embarrassed of me haha

12 Likes

@brandonvu (im quoting him) made some videos in ā€œthe dark agesā€ :rofl:

3 Likes

just joined a new year-round swim team (this week) i havnt yoyoed in front of any1 there yet

1 Like

i wonder if anyone is so desperate to yoyo, but so shy to yoyo they yoyo in the bathroom :joy: guess thatā€™s just in tv shows/movies

2 Likes

Maybe thatā€™s how #toiletcircle started lol

7 Likes

Iā€™m a softball player. And each year when I go on a new team It is always fun to yoyo in front of them for the first time. I just get so many different reactions! :joy:

7 Likes

I throw a responsive every now and then when I walk the dog (literally). Late 30s here and feel self conscious sometimes. I stop when passing families and try not to be seen aggressive tricking because 2a can seem bit ninja weapon.
I enjoy flouting 1a and attempted 4a in front of close friends because Iā€™m always doing something odd and unconventional.
Time and place in regards of self-consciousness but ownership over your own content I think supercedes it all.

5 Likes

I have gotten annoyed that they ask me to walk the dog every time I pull it out but I guess thatā€™s just the life of a yoyoer. No one understands!!! :weary:

8 Likes