why do you like small bearing yoyo's?

Im sorry- I didn’t make my post clear- by “losing unresponsiveness” all I meant was that it is harder to set up your yoyo dead unresponsive with an A than with a C bearing. I have 3 small bearing yoyos, all dead unresponsive.
And to Pat- I think C bearings are preferred because of practicality. C bearings have better replacements available. Im not saying you cant have a smooth small bearing- People just like large bearing yoyos because they can be customized.
Its like choosing to learn Spanish or French- Spanish is not a better language than French, but more people use Spanish in the real world, so more people learn it.

I said some rather ignorant things- I apologize.

1 Like

I can still disagree with some of the things you are saying Titanium, just know I’m doing it in a friendly manner. Now, I completely disagree with your statement on C bearings being more common than A bearings to the extent most people beleive it to be so. Have you noticed that most Duncans and a fair deal of YYF plastics sport A bearings? A personal touch to the common-ness of A bearings vs. C’s: I happen to have at least 5 spare A’s and only 1 C. This has nothing to do with the common-ness to anyone other than me, though. And it’s not like if you need a replacement they are hard to find. They are exactly as easy to aqquire as C bearings since they can easily be purchased from the same stores you buy C bearings from.

Regarding binding, I beleive the gap width is only half of the answer. The other half actually DOES relate to the bearing diameter. Think about when you flick the loop into the gap during a bind; the loop wraps itself aroung the bearing and rubs up against the response. During a bind on an A bearing yoyo, the string tends to wrap around more of the circumference of the bearing, which in turn leads to more friction on the response system. This in turn leads to snappier and more “complete” binds, allows for binds at lower speed, and finishes with a more solid throw.

ninjasmokebomb

A bearing is a bearing to me. But what titanium seems to have been getting at is that for folks who dig the designer stuff, there’s more variety for C than there is for A bearings.

What Im saying is that you dont see 10 Ball small bearings, AIGR small bearings, etc. And, I can tell that you prefer small bearings, so naturally you would have more. I have 4 spare C and 2 spare A. I hear your point though.

[quote=“patrickcondon,post:22,topic:22702”]
Yes, but in terms of the yoyo actually making it back up to your hand, the diameter of the bearing becomes less important. Given the same gap, it will indeed take more string to bind it, but the yoyo with the larger bearing will be able to return on a slower spin than the one with the smaller bearing because it has less string to climb. Of course, since most large-bearing yoyos also have wider gaps, that’s all moot. A smaller bearing diameter and gap will both allow more efficient binds in terms of string use, though, which leads to potentially more efficient throws as well.

Yeah, the A bearing is more effective in the “grab and bite” stage of the bind. We were discussing how they allow for binds at slower speeds. So there you go :wink:

I don’t think you actually read what I wrote. Consider that most plastic YoYoJams without the Solid Spin system have a stock gap comparable to a typical A-bearing yoyo, even with the o-rings removed and replaced with silicone. I would encourage you to find one if you don’t already own one and take advantage of the adjustable-gap feature to conduct a series of experiments and see for yourself the difference even a small gap change can make with no other variables changed. The difference that bearing diameter (C to A) makes in terms of bind efficiency (A is slightly superior) and slow-speed winding (C is slightly superior) pales in practical comparison to gap, all other things being equal.

No, I got what you were saying, and I understand perfectly. I’m just mentioning that bearing diameter DOES have a factor; I never said it was a gigantic contributor compared to the gap :wink: