why do people like to ship yoyos in halves?

I agree. Someone (forum member) had a point about the general wear and tear over time from unscrewing. I unscrew only for necessary maintenance anyway.

I searched forever to find this, and what he saw on the General Yo site was confirmed on YYF.fm. It makes perfect sense from a common sense perspective anyway.

1 Like

Another thing that would help is if you lube the threads of the axle. If itā€™s dry, the friction could potentially cause more wear I guess.

Well, I gotta admit something.

I get in and out of my Toyota Tacoma Truck, by climbing through the Drivers side Window opening.

Iā€™d use the door but I heard that opening and closing the Driversā€™ door will eventually cause it to wear out.

I also carry a 500 buck Damascus bladed pocket knife. So sharp even when its closed, you can almost cut yourself by sneezing. But I NEVER use it to cut anything because I donā€™t want to slowly dull the blade.

ā€¦ I will Spare you all from the Next 175 examples I could stuff into this Post.

Yoyos are not Faberge Eggs. They are Toy Yoyos. Often nice expensive toys, but toys non the less.

And they are ā€˜toolsā€™. Mechanics take care of their tools. But they are not afraid to use them.

Noteā€¦ I donā€™t take my yoyos apart just to ā€˜take them apartā€™. I unscrew them for various reasons. But I never hesitate to take them apart if I feel I need to.

6 Likes

I lubed my axle by accident just now, because I missed the bearing. :smiley: I was thinking I wasted a drop, but I feel better now.

Axles need love too.

The reason why I ship yoyos together is because that way I can ensure it gets to the person in the exact condition I described it:

Example:

This is the issue I personally have when it comes to shipping yoyos in pieces. When I sell a yoyo I test it out to make sure itā€™s exactly as smooth as Iā€™ve described, and then I put it into the box in that exact condition. That way, I know that itā€™ll arrive to the buyer in the same condition it left me at, reducing the risk of a dis-satisfied customer.

Once the buyer unscrews the yoyo and starts playing about with it, then itā€™s on their head, but forcing the buyer to do the initial assembly and risking them doing something wrong and messing up the smoothness of the yoyo is a risk that Iā€™d rather not take.

Still, each to their own. It doesnā€™t really bother me if I receive a yoyo in pieces, especially since most of the yoyos I buy off the B/S boards are bargain beaters anyway, and Iā€™m always careful when unscrewing/rescrewing yoyos. However, if my name (and repuation) is on the line, Iā€™m making sure that thing is in the exact condition described and then wrapping it up like itā€™s made of glass. ;D

Iā€™m total opposite when it comes to tinkering. I rarely tinker at all, and that is the part of me that doesnā€™t unscrew a lot. I play yo-yos mostly stock too, and donā€™t like the process of changing different bearings in and out and testing out the yo-yo.

We are alike when it comes to not being heavy handed with things. I have never stripped a yo-yo either, and it amazes me when I see the force some people use to put a yo-yo back together. I press buttons and keys soft. Iā€™m just one of those soft-handed types. A friend of mine picked up on it once. I was changing the radio station on the radio at work and she said, ā€œYou touch things really soft.ā€ I started laughing. It wasnā€™t my radio, so itā€™s not that I cared, itā€™s just my way that Iā€™m not generally rough with things.

I tend to agree, and ship the yo-yo assembled.

One time I received a yo-yo in halves (wrapped separately) with the axle and bearing in a separate baggie. During shipping the axle poked through the baggie and poked through the plastic that was around one of the halves. One of the yo-yo halves had damage from it. I think more packing material could have prevented excess movement in the box to allow this to occur. It was very minor damage, and it is the only time Iā€™ve seen it happen. I think the packing method is really the key.

Me neither, but I still try not to just to save time. Iā€™ve heard it can ruin a yoyo before, but that was from a very unreliable source, so, yeah.

[quote=ā€œTotalArtist,post:27,topic:74002ā€]
This is very trueā€¦ I remember seeing a thread awhile back where someone got bought a clyw off the B/S/T and it was just in a cardboard box with no padding whatsoever. Whenever i ship a yoyo out i make sure that if the box was hit by a car it would hurt the yoyo. This also means i use alot of bubble wrap and tape. The quality of the packing is probably more of a factor then whether or not the yoyo is assembled or not. Though i wold say that only to a certain pointā€¦ there are to many factors and would take to long to discuss each and every one.

The best example I can give follows a bit in line with why people are adverse in unscrewing yoyos cause the threads could potentially get damaged.

If something heavy is dropped onto the box the yoyo is packaged in, I could see potential damage to the threads happening versus if it was shipped in just halves with no axles screwed in. Assuming all things equal of course, same amount of padding, etc.

In almost all other scenarios, Iā€™m sure it would be fine but as someone that receives packages on a fairly consistent basis, Iā€™ve seen some pretty messed up boxes.

Iā€™m fairly ruff with my throws. Like probably more so then just about anybody.
I screw apart my throws at least once a day. I have throws I have owned since the late 90ā€™s that have been used as teaching yoyoā€™s too countless kids.
I have all aluminum throws I have owned since 2006ish, They have been opened and closed a huge amount of times. No ware on the threads, funny thing you all talk about threads, which donā€™t really ware unless you cross thread them.
But fail to talk about the bearing post and seat which do ware with lots of opening and closing. I find this a good thing really but I can see how some would not like it.
Cross threading isnā€™t being rough, its being negligent. I screw my throws together not just tight but I give them a good hard twist once they stop screwing together. Still I have never had a worn down thread. I also donā€™t even pay attention when I screw them together, like I donā€™t carefully make sure everything lines up. I just kindaā€™ plop the have on the other and screw it together. Not saying you canā€™t damage your threads, but anybody who says they wore them out, is leaving out the part where they cross threaded them first. Worrying about it is kindaā€™ crazy really. There is no chance you are going to ware out the threads in a yoyo with normal use.

^ Thereā€™s definitely truth to that; I agree.

Still, I was very careful with my 888x when starting out and finally a piece of thread came off one day (probably due to the made in China quality).

After that first piece itā€™ll only get worse. You shouldnā€™t be rough in my opinion. (Itā€™s ā€œwearā€ btw ;))

thats how I screw mine, never had remotely damaged threads.

While some people think itā€™s crazy that people donā€™t unscrew their yo-yos all the time, I think itā€™s crazy that they care so much what other people do (or donā€™t do) with the stuff they paid for. I certainly donā€™t unscrew my yo-yos on a daily basis, but whatever floats your boat. There is no reason I should care about the wear, or lack of wear on someone elseā€™s throw.

Where I stand with that, is that itā€™s your stuff, do what you want with it (or not), because you paid for it.

2 Likes

I could not agree more. We donā€™t tell each other how to drive our carsā€¦ do we?!?

depends on who is driving the carā€¦anyway i feel that this is getting the point where its just do what does it for you needs to be said and everyone move on. There is a point where words are no longer words but just tiny puffs of airā€¦ this is getting very close to that.

When possible I like to ship my yoyos unscrewed with each half wrapped individually in a paper towel. It minimizes any sort of damage. I would rather risk the axle being out of alignment over the yoyo arriving completely messed up due to someone dropping a heavy package on it during transit. Besides, the axle alignment issue is pretty much a nonissue these days. The only thing I worry about is companies with overly tight bearing seats that would cause galling when unscrewed too many times, but any companies worth buying have already solved that issue.

2 Likes

I have only seen damage to a yo-yo when it was in halves. Itā€™s the method the stores and manufacturers use, so itā€™s good enough for me too. The issue with boxes being crushed has to do with the quality of the box. I think the main key to shipping without damage is the packing material (which includes the box). The boxes I use have the seal on it. No matter how you pack the yo-yos, if you use a flimsy box, the yo-yo is susceptible to damage. The seal on my boxes means it can withstand a lot of weight thrown on top of it. You can ship disassembled, and skimp on packing materials (in a cheap box), and still get a damaged yo-yo.