Where has your Yo-Yo Journey Taken You?

Hey Everyone! For the past several weeks I’ve been pondering a question, and have been looking back on life to find the answer. What I found/realized was very intriguing to me, and I wanted to start this discussion thread to hear some of your answers as well! I created a video on my YouTube channel where I tell a bit more of the story (watch it below if you want!) but the Too Long Didn’t Watch (TLDW) of it is this. I started out with a $20 Velocity from YoYofactory. And while it definitely hasn’t taken me anywhere crazy within the world of Yo-Yoing itself, it has impacted other areas of my life in some pretty incredible ways. Yo-Yoing really lit up a passion for creativity inside of me when I was 12 years old, which lead to many things including my current job as a content creator. My question is this…Where has Yo-Yoing taken you? I would love to hear more!

Also, if you’re feeling generous, a Like and Subscribe is much appreciated! Maybe this YouTube channel will also take me somewhere someday!

12 Likes

There’s gotta be at least a few of you out there with a story to share, for real I would love to hear them. It’s always cool to share experiences as they can be a big source of inspiration for many! Even if it’s nothing major what ways has Yo-Yoing impacted your life?

1 Like

Well, I started 24 years ago….

And now I can hit double or nothing at least 2 out of 3 times…

12 Likes

That’s definitely a solid amount :slight_smile:

My yoyo journey just takes me to work.

13 Likes

but, you ARE @YoYoExpertGarrett

1 Like

Mine started with curiosity about that bearing thing in a yoyo. Then practicing up the trick ladder for the Bay Are Classic. Eventually building a secret laboratory :test_tube:!

5 Likes

It has led me to a perpetually empty wallet. :hole:

10 Likes

One thing I’ve noticed is that my time spent on social media has mostly been replaced by this forum, and looking at and playing with yoyos. It’s a really fun hobby to have with a great community. Plus, it’s a great outlet for creativity that helps me to forget about the worries of the day.

I always liked yoyos throughout my life, but once I really discovered what they were capable of, something inside me changed…

I am now a yoyo man.

6 Likes

In my journey I mastered some tricks, but must importantly I’ve met some really nice people.

5 Likes

So not necessarily a journey for me but when I was a kid in elementary school we used to have a thing called field days. Basically play a bunch of games like kick ball and three legged races all day then some entertainment after lunch. So on one of these field days after lunch they had a music guy come in who taught us about rhythm. After him though they had a yo-yo guy come up. He did some string tricks some looping and the diabolo. I thought it was the coolest thing so when I got out I went to the toy store and I got my first yoyo the imperial by duncen. Yoyos became an EDC for me since that day. always have fun with it and it’s great for relieving stress. That wraps up my story about how I started yo-yoing.

6 Likes

You produce some pretty great stuff in your secret laboratory! I’m glad you stayed committed, the world would be missing some great string if you hadn’t.

1 Like

This forum is definitely a lot more positive and welcoming place than other areas of social Media as well, at least according to what I’ve found. Glad to have you here!

4 Likes

I never was one for social media since 2014 and recently found this forum. I also found my social media fix has been fitted with this forum and filled with fun communications with amazing people. Also, makes me empty my mind in between journal articles or measuring crayfish/snail pee. That’s pretty neat.

3 Likes

mine led from a college hobby to a way to hang out with the kiddo, to being inspired to create a community and company in hopes of doing something good for the yoyo community on a micro and macro scale. it’s a way for me to express the inspiration i get from my friends in the community, and my family.

7 Likes

That’s super cool to hear! I love the great level of community that surrounds Yo-Yoing! And it’s always great when something that starts as just a hobby can become something more. Especially when it’s an avenue of giving back to a great community.

2 Likes

Ok, I’ve gotta ask about the Crayfish and snail pee thing. What do you do for work?

1 Like

I’m a graduate student trying to get my PhD. I’m interested in how nutrients cycle and they are an easily obtained and manipulated species. Small and IACUC doesn’t care about them since they are invertebrates. When you get animals with spines there is so much more paperwork.

4 Likes

My journey began with a cheap party favor yoyo from the dentist. While I can’t say yoyoing took me very far today (as I have no plans on competing), it’s definitely been there for me during many trying and stressful times. Of course the collection of throws has exploded since I actually got back into it in 2010 after a break in the late 90s/00s. It’s powered me through stressful job situations, family emergencies, death in the family, and more recently, the pandemic (where my mind really wandered down some dark rabbit holes). It’s definitely been very useful for “me time” moments when I needed it.

6 Likes

Thanks for the response! Definitely interesting!