When you get a Yo-Yo, What do you do First?

Okay. Cleaning used yoyos. I can see that!

2 Likes
  1. do a quick 10 second long visual inspection
  2. put on a short string
  3. play test
6 Likes

I usually just eat it to be honest

7 Likes

Then you are one of the few that truly have yoyos in your blood.

3 Likes

After checking tracking obsessively for days until discovering the package has finally arrived, I dash to the mailbox.

Upon fiddling keys and turning rusty old locks…package retrieved!

Now, retreating back into the sweet atmosphere of air conditioning and soft bumps of hiphop, I search for a sharp utensil.

Like a seasoned surgeon, slicing through tape as if it were an incision, only skin deep, to free the musty scent of fresh cardboard released by folding back firm, virgin flaps.

Gazing into the small abyss, packing material is carefully excavated to reveal the prize!

The inner package is excised, inspected for any blemishes then admired for design and materials before being carefully pried open to release the sought after jewel inside.

A sigh of relief, a moment of silence to let it all wash over in a jaw dropping wave of bliss and aw. Gazing upon the initial glow, I reach for the jewel to pry it free from its protective fixture.

An inspection is conducted, as if glancing through a loupe…examining the finish and fondling the smooth, clean and cool curves until reaching satisfaction.

A string is selected from a closet of colors, textures, and thicknesses. Looped, stretched, measured, cut, tied, and tested for fit like a tailored suit.

Finally, the moment of momentum, I snap start the yoyo and bind. Another throw and bind to ensure a good snug wind before the gauntlet of trials begins.

Trapeze, eli hops, suicide and magic drop. A few tech combos and then a front throw with barrel rolls and boingy boings galore! Kwyjibo and beef hooks, then repeater after repeater until torsion becomes overwhelming.

Return torsion to neutral, throw and bind once or twice more until the wind is snug, but not too tight. Right and ready for the next encounter.

Until the next throw…satisfaction!

10 Likes

Thoroughly clean and lubricate the bearing.

People who run their bearings dry are monsters I tell ya!
3 Likes

Step 1: Unbox it and then throw away all of the packaging it came in.

Step 2: Put the string on and throw it until the bearing sounds like the garbage disposal running (usually takes 5-15 minutes for this to happen)

Step 3: Be sad about all bearings getting crunchy so quickly these days. Then take the bearing out and throw it into some acetone.

Step 4: Be too impatient for the bearing to soak, so get a different yoyo from my shelf and steal its bearing for the new yoyo.

Step 5: Return to yoyoing with the new yoyo.

11 Likes

This is my routine for getting used yoyos.

1. Pull the string that’s on it and throw it away! Y’all send some nasty string on yoyos. Hahah
  2. String it up with some bulk
  3. Throw front side and blind
  4. Throw and finger nail test for vibe
  5. Open her up, pull the bearing and clean/lube it
  6. Replace response pads or silicone. These are usually nasty too! I’ve gotten some old chewed up sliicone/pads before.

Then with fresh pads and a clean bearing, I throw a new string on and BAM! It’s like throwing a brand new yoyo!

6 Likes

I put on a new string and roll it up, then I throw it, only to ding it on the ground immediately.

‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎
‏‏‎ ‎

Jkjk

8 Likes

New:

1. OPEN AND THIN LUBE IT(yes, obviously)
  2. See the smoothness of the body(don’t care about defects but, yeah.)
  3. Check the “Wildness” (AKA Bearing spin)
  4. String it (Except offstring yoyos?)
  5. Throw it with some style
4 Likes
  1. Take it out of its box, inspect surface for imperfections.
  2. Hold in hand for a while, testing for comfort.
  3. Put it on a table, look at it for a couple of minutes, admire the view :smiley:
  4. Roll string off yoyo, look at bearing and brakes without disassembling, if they looks fine, put string back on yoyo.
  5. Check lengh of string, cut it if necessary.
  6. Throw once, check for vibes. Throw some more.
  7. Put it back on a table, keep it as a “table throw” for a couple of weeks or more.
8 Likes

Test out if it is playing responsive

2 Likes

First I open the box wearing a pair of latex gloves. Then I soak the yoyo overnight in a bowl of isopropyl alcohol to kill any germs. The next day I stick it in the clothes dryer on high for about 20 minutes to fully dry it out. Then I string it up and have myself a session.

8 Likes

Our routine is very similar lol

1 Like

I mean you kid…but that’s happened to me a couple of times :frowning:

2 Likes

My routine goes a little something like this…

1. I put one of my strings on it because the ones that come with most yoyos are way too short for me.

2. I’ll snap start it, give it a throw, and do some tricks I’m comfortable with to test it out.

3. Inevitably, the bearing will start squealing out in agony, at which point I will stop throwing it and take this time to disassemble it and inspect it.

4. I lube or replace the bearing with a quiet one and reassemble it.

5. Play with it indefinitely

1 Like

This is hilarious.

3 Likes

I always unscrew the yoyo, spin the bearing with my finger, remove the axle and inspect the threads, then string it up and give it a throw to see what sound it makes and how it feels through my short repertoire of tricks.

Ivan

3 Likes

If I received a throw off the forum. I try to inform the seller I have received the throw and I will be opening it later in the evening and will correspond then.
I usually open throw boxes in the evening to
have a lot of time available. I open a throw box I save the string that comes with a new throw. Put on a string hand wind ( I know ugh, but that’s me ), break away to sleeper, touch stabilized with finger throw hand side bind. Spirit Bomb, Beef Hook, Tension Hook, Satoshi Tower.
Then I go and throw similar shaped throws in my collection then usually move through the collection further and further from the original shape of the new throw. So I then tend to throw the collection or at least most of the collection.
Throwing so many different throws, It really makes it hard to be consistent, so many different shapes and weights but I enjoy them all so much.

7 Likes