When did responsive become popular again?

We usually call them Bro-flips or Brother-flips. 5a hand-change kickflips have been done, but I’m not sure they ever got a name. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for putting the time in to type this up for me Ed, couldn’t have asked for more. I’m just as interested in the shifts, trends and developments in yo-yo tricks as I am yo-yo design, so I was very curious as to how this transition happened.

4 Likes

Yeah it was weird to try and go through and think about it in this way. The chronology of people starting to play responsive as something OTHER than just retro/nostalgia or as a beginner’s tool. Weird, but fun, so thanks for asking. And I’m sure I missed a ton of things which may occur to me (or others). In any case it’s super cool to see it as it is now. :pray:

4 Likes

Isn’t Black Cat just an anodized Tom Cat? When did Fat Cat come out? (I checked and it was 2001)

3 Likes

Fat Cat was super funny because it was teased and prototyped and pre-ordered waaaaaaaaay back, and they finally actually got around to producing it in like 2008. There were collectors who had been waiting 5 years + for that yo-yo to actually get made. And when it finally did… well, it was the Fat Cat.

(And I actually kind of liked it!)

9 Likes

I played with Fat Cat protos that Tom had at Spindox in 1999.

7 Likes

Seemed relevant - I was joking with Bryan Figueroa about how paradoxical the idea of a “0a” symbol (along the lines of the old 5a star, 3a swirl, or Bryan’s own 4a lotus) would be. He was like “I’m doing this.” I thought what he came up with was pretty radical and appropriately simple. (Plus it looks like a spaceship about to literally “shoot the moon”.)

I like the idea of taking back 0a for the modern responsive/fixed axle movement - kind of because I’m tired of typing “modern responsive/fixed axle”. Not as a competitive division, but just as it is - kind of its own thing.

10 Likes

I didn’t even know there were symbols for the divisions. Can we see pics of the others?

Classic 5a star on the left. Bryan’s own crazy brilliant “4a lotus” on the right.
I’m looking for the old swirly 3a symbol!

5 Likes

I need that 0A logo as a sticker for my water bottle :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah I thought the same thing, it’d be cool to have stickers of these

I like how the symbols themselves don’t have anything to do with yoyoing

2 Likes

0A logo rules. Bryan is great.

2 Likes

Yeah he helped me out with the 650b art recently, and we have another project in the works. He is just so clever when it comes to taking an idea and distilling it to its simplest elements.

3 Likes

When did responsive become popular again?

When @codinghorror handed @DocPop a Deep State! haha

6 Likes

It was actually a Deep State in Sacred Lotus colorway!

3 Likes

Fixed

I’m also thinking that this should be on an Alleycat, because one can never have too many Alleycats :grin:

Also realized while typing this that there hasn’t been an Unknown edition Alleycat :thinking:

3 Likes

lol!

2 Likes

Maybe someday, although that wasn’t actually what I was referring to! :thinking::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

i’m going to date myself here, but i’ve only ever played fixed axle responsive. when i was throwing in the late 90s to early 00s, i’d picked up a couple non-fixies, but always went back to the imperial style fixed-axle.

now that i’m jumping back in, i go back and forth b/w both. i still just play responsive now (though starting to research the other side), and i really like the deep states and 650b. i’ll keep a 3in1or something wood in my pocket throughout the day, and then the kiddo and i will get it on with the heavy hitters when we get home.

6 Likes