What's the Point

Jayyo you are totally wrong. Yoyoing is whatever the individual person wants out of it. Not what you think they should have.

2 Likes

I do yoyo for the glory. I enjoy it.

Itā€™s a hobby. Yoyoing is a journey in itself, and itā€™s done for self-pleasure. Itā€™s like paintball or something. Why do paintball if others are better than you? Because itā€™s fun to shoot and get shot at. I dunno. Thatā€™s my attempt at it. You yoyo because you want to, because you enjoy it, because you have utter control over your yoyo, and can enjoy the fruits of persistence and practice.

at anything, there will be people better, more talented, more successful then you

the point of yoyoing is to have fun

Yo-yoing is different to everyone.

The question is not whatā€™s the point in continuing, but why you started it in the first place. If you think back to why you started it then thereā€™s the reason. For me, I yo-yo because it makes me unique. Yo-yoing is my way of expressing myself. A personā€™s style of tricks and what tricks they do can open their heart and see what theyā€™re trying to say. A contest a sacred ceremony, it is art thatā€™s up there. A contest is a way for competitors to show each other their hearts and values.

Me? People may not see it. But Iā€™ve been told this,

ā€œThe way you played with your yo-yos up there, Chris, it wasnā€™t watching a kid do random tricks. You communicated with your yo-yoā€™s and used them to communicate with the audience. It feels like you were showing us that things arenā€™t as simple as we think.ā€

Remember Worldā€™s 08 when Takeshi won. It was described as, even though everyone didnā€™t have the same language, all yo-yoers understood the language of the string.

Once again, I see yo-yoing as a way of expression, a way to show my feelings, a way to show who I am using my tricks. Your yo-yoā€™s are toys, but they are toys with your feelings in them. After you do a personal trick you made up, your soul is now part of that yo-yo.

When my brother and I went to BAC, my brother told me ā€œWow, these kids are way ahead of you!ā€ I responded ā€œYea, soā€¦ā€ I see the same thing on Youtube and I admit, Iā€™m surprised at how fast theyā€™ve learned compared to what I had learned over the many years of knowing how to yoyo. Today, thereā€™s Youtube so learning is much faster. Back then, we had trick videos we had to rewind back to the spot if we wanted to see that trick again. We had those little trick books that came with our yoyos that taught the basics. Looking back at it now, when I got fully back into throwing last year, I feel like Iā€™ve learned a lot since last May/June, zipping through the intermediate tricks, thinking I was cool because I could ā€˜brain twisterā€™ then nailing ā€˜split the atom.ā€™ Honestly, I donā€™t want to learn too fast, I want to take the time and enjoy so that I donā€™t end up feeling that Iā€™ve learned so much that Iā€™m less inclined to learn something new. In the end, I throw because it puts me in a good mood, and it can put a smile on someoneā€™s face with even some of the simplest stuff.

Just Play Yoyo Everday.

~Z

Yoyoing is different to everyone. ā€œfunā€ is different for everyone. Just because its different than your way doesnt mean you should tell them to drop the sport. Your really going to hate the documentary coming if this is how you see it, a lot of professionals do. I for one do not, I just play for fun. I see many different views and its pretty interesting, especially with the pros.

when it comes to the point of coming on a message board asking ā€œwhy should I keep on throwing?ā€, maybe thereā€™s no fun anymore.

jayā€™s right, he might as well just quit right now because

1. obviously heā€™s not having fun
  2. he is not motivated, which makes it impossible to actually be the best (you can only be the best at something if you enjoy doing it)
  3. there will ALWAYS be someone better at something than you are. always. Donā€™t think because Kimmit won worlds in 2010 that heā€™s the ā€œbestā€, there are better throwers somewhere in the world, thereā€™s always someone better

Iā€™ll sum it up, if you donā€™t enjoy it then donā€™t do it. Regardless of the fact that there are people out there who are better than you (and there always will be in life) if you get some sort of enjoyment out of it, and you think itā€™s worth it, then do it. Otherewise, there is no point. Iā€™m saying quite if itā€™s not fun, just any type of enjoyment. The quesiton really isnā€™t as philosphical as everyoneā€™s making it.

the point is what you make it. i addressed my thoughts on it a little in that post.

1 Like

If there was no one better, there would be no one to learn from

It really depends on what is your goal in yoyoing. If your goal is to collect yoyos, technically, you can become better than others if you have a larger collection than them. You might not be that good at one aspect of yoyoing, but I would like to point out that there are other aspects to yoyoing, so maybe you should try having different goals, so that you might succeed in reaching one of them.

ā€œGermans?ā€
ā€œForget it, heā€™s rollingā€

You all need to go out and rent a copy of ā€œAnimal Houseā€ This is old guy humor, but itā€™s classic old guy humor. Now all you kids, get off my lawn!

You just have to ask yourself, ā€œeven though Iā€™m not as good as the guy/girl in the video, Am I having fun?ā€ if you are, great. Who cares whoā€™s better? If not, then the question becomes how long are you willling to work at something thatā€™s not fun? Thatā€™s all there is to it. Some quit when they realize itā€™s not fun for them, some keep working at it because fun isnā€™t their reason for doing it in the first place. Also, you have to remember who is watching you. Within the context of our ā€œcultureā€ here on the net, I suck. I learn slow, and I will never be as good as most of the people reading this. But out in the real world, any one who can land a Double or Nothing is considered a freaking genius. Kwijibo makes you some kind of yo-yoing god. I personally throw for fun, and when it comes to having fun throwing, I can kick all of your butts! ;D

Have Fun,
Java

Yo-yos are a way to harness the energy of awesome.

Seriously though, Iā€™m sorry you donā€™t see a point just because someone younger than you is better. It is easier to learn things when you are younger and you have more time/less responsibilities to learn something like yo-yos faster. However, everyone has things that bother them and everyone is different.

There is so much to learn even if you spend your whole life yo-yoing youā€™re not going to learn it all. Thatā€™s what makes yo-yos so great. Everyone has different ways/pace of learning, interests, style, that there is probably at least one thing to learn from every other person who throws. Partly because yo-yoing means different things to different people.

I yo-yo because itā€™s fun, I like learning new things, and I donā€™t mind a good challenge. It is also a coping mechanism. Without going into details Iā€™m going through a rough time, and spent my birthday at the doctor being diagnosed with major depression. A yo-yo is like a little friend I can take with me everywhere and pull out when I need it. When Iā€™m having a hard time I can yo-yo instead of doing something stupid Iā€™ll regret. I want to get better and while the yo-yo canā€™t actually care about me, it can still help me. Itā€™s something tangible I can hold on to, and I donā€™t want to let go.

1 Like