What yo-yo made you fall in love with throwing and what’s the story behind it?

Whether it was your first real yo-yo, the one that helped you land a dream trick, or just one you’ll never sell..what yo-yo has the most meaning to you, and why?

3 Likes

My OG OD 54. It isn’t that special, just a sold green color. But it was my first metal yoyo and the one that I threw for 2 years while I lived in Kyiv. Everyday, I would walk the streets of Kyiv and throw that thing around. It is beat from hitting random buildings, sidewalks, and whatever else I couldn’t avoid. Surprisingly, still mostly smooth, It is retired now and living its best life in a case. But every once in a while I bring it out and remember the first slack trick I hit or my first Eli Hop.


23 Likes

That’s so awesome! Seems like a special yoyo to me :folded_hands:.

2 Likes

Mine was the Super Yo Triple Play. Back in elementary school, they had a yo-yo demo using Super Yo yo-yos, and I remember thinking yo-yoing was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. After the demo, they had a bunch of yo-yos for sale, and the best yo-yo that I could afford was the Triple Play, so that is the one I bought. I have been yo-yoing off and on ever since, and I will be yo-yoing forever because of that thing.

14 Likes

Sengoku Shogun is the one for me. I honestly don’t play it much, and it’s nothing special (imo) but it was the yoyo that got me back into it.

I played as a kid during the boom (2010ish) but lost interest as kids do. When I was 19, I ruptured my spleen snowboarding and couldn’t do anything for months, which led me to trying more “stationary” hobbies.

On a whim, I decided to buy a “nice” yoyo, since I’d never been able to get better than a whip/one as a kid. 6 years later and it proved to be a good choice :call_me_hand:

8 Likes

5*v2. I just remember receiving it and falling in love with it. It was dead smooth and the blasted finish felt so nice. Learned so many tricks on it. I often wonder who owns it now or where it is.

3 Likes

Snowboarding is something I’ve always wanted to try!

2 Likes

Sounds like a great yoyo. I’ve never tried that one

1 Like

I started yo-yoing in spring 2008, on a FAST 201 I got at a carnival. After a couple weeks I picked up a Dark Magic, and just a few days later this beauty came up on the forums. The 888 was my first grail (big Yuuki fanboy), so I begged my mum for some early pocket money to pick it up. It’s not a regular player these days (I’m not a big undersized guy), but it’s one of five yo-yos I own that I’d never get rid of. I’ve had this thing for more than 18 years, crazy how time flies.

16 Likes

I was a big Yuki fan as well. I used to love my yuuksta yoyo

2 Likes

A green Duncan Butterfly. Had one as a kid in the 90s, and took it with me on a field trip to Philadelphia. My boy mind was blown when I learned to forward pass then, the way it defied gravity! So all I remember about Philly was throwing a bunch of forward passes up and down the Rocky steps… Rebought one around 2010 and got back into throwing for a while. Ended up proposing to my now wife with the slipknot on that one! It’s been 15 years now this Thursday. Still have that Butterfly sitting in a drawer. Falling apart with all the printing wore off…

6 Likes

You should mount it in a shadow box

2 Likes

I know what she’s getting for our 16th anniversary!

1 Like

Lol I’ve got like five of these which came at various points to revive my interest. First love was probably a proyo. Age 6. Blue yomega raider taught me first string tricks like roller coaster. Later I got a dark magic ii that had me addicted. Tried to get a pair of raiders in college and learn looping. After I got married I bought a freehand next Gen outside a psychic palm reader shop that really hooked me again. But it came and went still. I had gone from responsive fixed axle to trans axle to ball bearing to a bit of looping to 5A.

One day I bought a psychedelic Duncan butterfly on eBay. It was magic. That brought me full circle back to fixed axle, the simple yoyos from my childhood, so I started collecting all the old school Duncan throws I always wanted but couldn’t afford when I was a wee lad learning yoyo tricks after school. And since then, I’ve been back for good in the hobby, yoing constantly and slowly trying to integrate into the wider community.

:clinking_glasses:

I fear I’m in danger of not answering the original question, so I’ll just say the one that means the most is probably my original beat up DMii or my Profly, because it is my desert island yoyo and a constant reminder to make the simple amazing.

4 Likes

One of these Super Yo Sonic spin was the first Yoyo that got me into yo-yoing back in 4th grade after begging my parents for weeks. I don’t know what ended up happening to that yoyo but now I’m 37 and I have these two in clear color (like mine used to be) but I swapped the bearing on one for full ceramic and it plays very smooth. Still take them out of the case play once in a while. Brings back memories.

7 Likes

Fireball was incredible back in the day

1 Like

Superyo was amazing back in the day

2 Likes

That’s exactly what happened to me 30 years ago. This might even be the one. A bunch of kids including myself bought the yo-yos for sale after the demo. I don’t have mine anymore but I remember buying a bumblebee shortly after

2 Likes

Good times! I’ll never forget that day. Good to see that you’re still around :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Duncan imperial was the initial catalyst for me. Simple fixed axle but once I learned the concept of a yoyo sleeping and not just bobbing up and down, I was hooked.

Fh2010 was what got me back into it with unresponsive stuff until the pads wore out. My RecRev yoyo I picked up at a contest was my first proper/modern era metal yoyo with standardized guts.

3 Likes