What trick are you working on?

Funny enough, I almost had it once out of blind rage. Unfortunately I can’t replicate it and I have no idea what caused it to work right…

Still chugging along with Spirit Bomb, I’d say 75% of the time I can get through the first half (been strictly focusing on that), some days are excellent, other days (like today and yesterday) are…like I had never done it before.

Decided to start playing around with Green Triangle seeing what I can do in that triangle formation. So far, did Boingy Boing and Barrel Rolls. Also focusing on hopping out of it back into a trapeze.

New thrower here. Day 3 and I’ve got a lot accomplished. Currently working on magic drops. Tricky little move this is… Also working on ninja vanish. This one is more cooperative.

Was messing around with “branding” earlier as I’m not 100% on it yet…(that 1.5 mount suicide manuever). When doing that final maneuver I had actually accidentally caught the loop in such a way I was in a double-on trapeze. My thought then was “well, that was a cool mistake, let’s continue with this here…” Going to now see if I can replicate this “mistake” and see where I can expand this trick :slight_smile:

You been Yo-Yoing for only 3 days?

Ring Around Slack! I understand the string and hand motions, but the timing is tricky.

Something is still not quite clicking in for me with that second hop even though I’ve studied various tutorials many times. It’s that darn triangle. I seem to not be catching it in time or when it’s too late as I’m getting a rather small triangle.

I plan on shooting more today with a full breakdown of what I’m doing but here’s an ultra-slow motion video filmed via my Galaxy S5 :slight_smile:

Update, re watching this closely, now trying to figure out how this wrap happened, seems that’s what I’m missing here.

After the second pop, there’s supposed to be an extra wrap. It will still fall off properly with a normal wrist mount dismount.

You’re still not intersecting all the right string segments with your non-throw-hand on the second pop. You’re missing a bunch of stuff. When your finger intercepts the missing segments, the triangle will just naturally be bigger.

Notice in the still of the video how much stuff he has around his NTH forefinger. Then freeze your video at :48 or :49 or so. You only have ONE string segment around your finger/wrist.

If you have a yoyo-friendly party (I use my wife!) around, get them to just stop the yoyo from spinning and hold it with their hands, moving it where it needs to go as you slowly execute the pop. It will help you identify which string segments you are missing.

I had actually though about getting someone to hold the yoyo for me while I can do it in real slow mo. Can’t believe that this trick is giving me so much trouble… :slight_smile:

Update: Frame-by-frame replay, the string the green arrow is pointing to…that’s the one that I should be intersecting I take it, the one that’s slipping away? Sorry for all these questions, want to finally say I did it (successfully).

It’s all in the overhead video I posted earlier. In slo-mo even. :wink: You know… the video it seems like I never even made. Haha!

I’ll see if I have the source footage and do a “still shot” at the right spot, with annotations.

Sorry if it isn’t quite clicking on over here. I’ll get it figured out, no worries.

Update: A quick overhead clip now, with that extra string finally being intersected on that second hop that I was initially losing/didn’t really see was actually happening until today.

https://instagram.com/p/3fOH-IkBo0/

Update 2: Just a small compilation of trials and failures with SB, with a finale of nearly landing it only to end in a snag :slight_smile:

Behind the back
Takeshi stuff

Love that trick–it’s almost like art if you do it smoothly and catch with grace.

Still can’t figure out the end of Enigma though…

AG: I think you’ve got all the parts in order! As far as I can tell, you were intercepting the correct string segments that time.

The last piece of the puzzle might be the NTH wrist. I use the wrist in Kwyjibo instead of just the forefinger because there’s lots of string to spare. But with Spirit Bomb… going around the wrist is going to eat up much-needed slack that could have gone towards a larger triangle. :slight_smile:

But you’re “This” close! You’ve got this, mang!

1 Like

Cool, glad I’m on the right track! I’ve come to realize with this trick there’s actually quite a few things going on and it’s very easy to even miss just a single string. Ironically now my first hop the yoyo likes to pop off of the string and hang. I know this is a common problem and should just keep my hands aligned as best as possible to avoid any drop-offs :slight_smile:

And I just landed through the triangle! It was a little rough of a landing but it slipped right on through! Now to just keep at this and perfect it!

So cool watching you progress dude.

Your gonna show me up on that spirit bomb aren’t you? I need to get on it. I get my triangle nice and open but it lands on the triangle string. Instead of falling thru it or it will go thru on miss the string it should land on.

almost got down gentrys speed combo. and am still working on Canadian ladder escape, the hop thru the tiny hole/triangle is killing me!

Still working on Spirit Bomb, landed a few (sketchy) earlier at McDonald’s when waiting for my food. Just experimenting with hand placement now to get a larger size triangle.

Getting better at Magic Trick. When I say “better” I mean more consistent. Toughest part is that swing over maneuver which I learned to be gentle so I don’t over shoot it. Great trick though. Nice mix of technical and flashy, enough to wow the general public.

Still perfecting Magic Trick, much smoother now!