What to post at yoyomuseum.com

What do you want to see? Got boxes and boxes of stuff. Thought I’d ask what kind of stuff to prioritize when adding to the museum. Remember I stopped collecting big time in 2008. Companies like CLYW and One Drop started around then. So I have very little unresponsive stuff and especially unresponsive metal. I didn’t like it, so didn’t buy it. :slight_smile: So if you want more of that, you’ll have to post it.

I’ll check back in a few days …

David Hall
yoyomuseum.com

6 Likes

thank you david!!!

I would like to see more unresponsive metals, alot of design changes in the last 10 years. There isn’t much Yoyorecreation up on the site, and they are a big part of the modern history I feel. Maybe @yoyobrothers can continue to contribute on that front. Also with the modern responsive OA offerings, CoreCo, TMBR, Rain City, and DocPop, these are throws you would probably enjoy, Alleycats, eHs, Gamers, and The Weekender you would probably enjoy playing.

2 Likes

Honestly the yoyo museum covers all of the stuff that the yoyowiki doesn’t have and vise versa. The only thing to be added would be like customs (mo mods, atomic cow stuff, skon, Vader, higby things, things that were either modded or super limited runs)

3 Likes

Man, I miss AC!
I once (in the early 2000’s) broke my favorite yo-yo…and Atomic cow ended up sending me a package of a bunch of new throws including a couple he hand painted. What a super cool guy.

Sorry for being off topic. His name just brought back good memories.

2 Likes

Since I didn’t get many responses, I decided to just add the stuff that I like …

Check out yoyomuseum.com, and it might help right now to play the song Tutti Fruiti by Little Richard today (1/16/2020). Also, the museum has a curator program. Anything you want to add, we can set up an account and you can add to the archive.

David Hall
Master Curator, The Museum of Yo-Yo History

4 Likes

I would love to see yoyo museum start posting on instagram again. Would be a good way to share all the new museum additions with a broader audience.

4 Likes

THIS, 100%. Would be a great way to get more newer players knowing about the museum and for some of the old dogs to take trips down memory lane.

2 Likes

i’m going have to get on the instant grams

1 Like

The “Instant Gram” thing, and the other social media stuff was done by Grahame Wright, Chimera. He wrote the museum site (which includes all kind of behind the scenes things, like built in inventory system). I hate to tell you this, but he is no longer supporting the Museum. He has told us he no longer has any time due to work and severe family issues. In fact, if the software ever fails and simply goes down, I’m pretty sure it will not be back. I don’t have the expertise to do anything about it.

Funny story … about 4 years back, I saw a picture of a little bird at the bottom of the museum and emailed him to ask what it was. He said it meant “Twitter”. I had no idea. I do have a facebook account (The Facebook) , but log onto it about every 2 or 3 years. And I consider that too often.

And Sorry, but I have no interest in learning social media or more computer crap. I hate computers. I’m very anti-technology and especially computers. The less I do on them, the better. Posting pictures and text as far as I am willing to go. And sometimes posting here. When I retire I’m moving to Bayfield Colorado, which is 40 years back in time.

DH

6 Likes

I’ve been using the yoyo museum website a ton the past couple of weeks. In fact, I have 5 yoyomuseum tabs open right now. :slight_smile: It’s an amazing resource, and heartfelt thanks for keeping it available to the public.

For my purposes (mostly old wood and fixed axle), the selection of images is great. One thing that would be really useful (though probably a pain to implement) is a sort function - specifically the ability to sort the different models produced by a company by production date. Hummingbird, Tom Kuhn, BC, and Duracraft/Playmaxx/ProYo are the ones I’m most interested in.
I’m not a programmer, so I don’t know if what I’m suggesting would be unreasonably difficult. And I realize that for some of the older wood, production dates might be unknown. There are probably few people in the world that could sort the models into order of production (to create a sort of timeline for each manufacturer), and I’d guess that you probably have more of that knowledge than anyone else.

1 Like

So, I guess I’ll ask the naive question since I honestly don’t know the answer… Instead of adding more information to a site that no one plans or wants to maintain long term, why not start migrating all the yoyo museum information to yoyo.fandom.com? It’s powered by MediaWiki which is what Wikipedia uses. It’s open source, has open collaboration so anyone can make contributions and corrections, and it will probably out live us all.

The search features are very limited in the Museum. I often find things that I didn’t know were posted in the museum, because I search the wrong criteria. We’ve wanted to update those features in the past … but again, we lost all technical support. And the friend that wrote the code is not willing to do any work on it. So no way we can do it.

The dates on many items are estimates. A lot of time the only way to pin down a date is to find an old toy dealers catalog, and find the precise dates of items. And even the companies that made these items, often didn’t keep their own records. That’s why we always encourage people to contact us and tell us more information to expand the exhibit.

But I will try to post more “older” items. My favorite stuff. Check out the Lifesaver exhibit that Rick Brough just entered. You can even view the TV commercial through his exhibit. Great stuff !!!

Here’s a few pictures coming soon to the museum …

David Hall
Master Curator, Museum of Yo-Yo History

IMG_8271 IMG_8336

5 Likes

I’ve heard about the Lifesavers yoyos but never seen one until now. Not have I seen your pics above, and I’ve been combing through just about every listing on eBay for wooden yoyos the past couple of weeks. (Backstory - been searching for an early No Jive to replace the one my husband had stolen from him in high school as his upcoming birthday gift & General Terse was kind enough to sell me one that looks similar to his original No Jive). But, in the process, I’ve really been digging the history of yoyos. I even picked up a Chico Superb Junior Top for my daughter and a Goody Master Filipino Twirler for myself in the process.

In one of your replies to another thread, you mentioned that “the old hard maple Hummingbirds were good players” and I’ve been trying to figure out which those would be. (I’m picking up some backup yoyos for the birthday gift that might feel similar to husband’s old No Jive, and those sound like they’d fit the bill.) There’s not a ton of info out there on the history of Countryman’s early yoyos, but I surmise they would be way before BC era. Would those be from his Country Store Era? Or would they be actual Hummingbirds? Raw wood, finished, painted? Logo?

1 Like