What throws would you put on the Mount Rushmore of yo-yos?

We don’t have a mount Rushmore over here, maybe Stonehenge would be similar?

Anyway, I think they should be:

Peak, Dark Magic, 888 and maybe a No Jive.

The Peak, like others have said changed the game with regards to a modern response system still popular today and also brought in the hype factor with YoYos. If one popped up on the bst now it would get snapped up in an instant.

The Dark Magic, thanks to Andre, brought in a new generation with his online trick videos and the adjustable gap it provided, allowed it to grow with your skill level.

The 888 kind of upped the standard of metal machined YoYos, a smooth metal was now achievable. The hubstacks, although in my opinion slightly gimmicky, kept the new flavour of play. They are still sought after today (I’m looking for one!)

The No Jive with it’s take apart design allowed for quick knot removal and alternative shaped YoYos. Some still regard it as one of the best fixed axle YoYos of all time and rightly so.

Just my two pence.

3 Likes

From the OP… last 10 years only? I dunno… Mt Rushmore status should be all time classics, no?

If last 10 years, taking into account where yoyo design has gone, then…

Draupnir, Shutter, Ti Walker, Chief

If all time, then…

No Jive, 888, Peak, Draupnir

• caveat that I have yet to play a No Jive or Ti Walker but their legendary status is undeniable
3 Likes

Ah I missed the last 10 years part. Ok let’s see…

Sleipnir - Perfected the formula for a great yoyo, first to use and popularize 7075

Shutter - one of the first good budget metals, began the Chinese manufacturing movement

Draupnir - Perfected the formula for a great bimetal, popularized modern bimetals and first to utilize full potential of bimetal design

Kenshin - First to use and popularize 7068 Alu

The impact of all these can still be seen in current modern trends and designs

Flores, No Jive, Freehand, Peak if you want to symbolize yoyoing’s evolution.

Flores, Butterfly, No Jive, ProYo if you want to honor historical standouts which also changed the game.

The idea of using only the last 10 years is analogous to creating Mt Rushmore using only presidents from 1972 on.

6 Likes

I literally made this same topic last night after reading @JohnnyJ ‘s post, but I couldn’t narrow down the list to only 4.

Stay tuned for:
Mt. Rushmore of Yo-Yo Demonstrators
&
Mt. Rushmore of Yo-Yo Executives

3 Likes

Torrent, 888, shutter, draup, ti walker/vayder if we’re going important history wise

Why torrent

Set the bar for smoothness. General yo smooth redefined what smoothness is for a yoyo and set the bar for future yoyos to try and achieve this smoothness.

FHZ, DMII, Shutter, Draupnir.

Towards “modern” yoyoing anyway, surprised no one put in the FH’s, also, I don’t believe collector value gives anything towards significance.

What’s your reasoning for FHZ

The one that kills GOBS of animals for fun, trophy, and sport.

1 Like

This one really gets to me. Such a majestic creature.

I believe this hangs in his old Sagamore Hill Homestead.

2 Likes

If we’re going freehands it’s gotta be the OG my man

1 Like

To be fair he was a major conservationist, probably the most ever to hold the office.

1 Like

Perhaps… There is a giant display at the local Bass Pro museum that has several rooms dedicated to his “conquests” and it was sickening to say the least. He may had helped conserve some stuff later on, but the sheer number of things he killed for fun is deplorable.

1 Like

I don’t want to get too off topic here, but you do realize that you are talking about the man who literally protected 230 million acres of public land? That’s about as far as you can get from “maybe helped to conserve some stuff later on” as you can get. Hate sport hunting all you want, and there are legitimate arguments to make that it is terrible. Heck, hate the man as much as you want, that’s totally legit in a free country. But I promise that you or me or anyone reading this forum ever will never in our lifetimes do anything that approaches the amount that Teddy Roosevelt did for conservation.

After becoming president in 1901, Roosevelt used his authority to protect wildlife and public lands by creating the United States Forest Service (USFS) and establishing 150 national forests, 51 federal bird reserves, 4 national game preserves, 5 national parks, and 18 national monuments by enabling the 1906 American Antiquities Act. During his presidency,Theodore Roosevelt protected approximately 230 million acres of public land.

Source: Theodore Roosevelt and Conservation - Theodore Roosevelt National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

6 Likes

Teddy Roosevelt had a lot of flaws, he was a bit of a loudmouth and a braggart, and he did some pretty dumb and sometimes despicable stuff as president but you can’t deny that he really cared about the natural world and felt that America’s biggest treasure was its natural wonders

2 Likes

Because more tricks have been invented on the FHZ than many people here are probably going to ever learn.

2 Likes

Noted, and I appreciate the insight.

1 Like