What should I make a forum about?

So I got Discourse (the forum software your on now) and I don’t know what to make the forum about. I want to make one on Linux but most people don’t even know what Linux is and there are already plenty of Linux forums already so there is a small chance of the forum taking off. I want to make one about yoyos, but that would be “stealing” people off there and that’s not what I want to do. So does anyone know a good topic that there aren’t many forums about already?

1 Like

Don’t make a forum just for the sake of it. If you don’t know what to make a forum about, the best thing to do would be to not make one.

9 Likes

Maybe you could do a yoyo related forum but have it be more specialized for a specific purpose rather than general like this one.

Like specific for videos, trick content, competitions, etc.

2 Likes

This just doesn’t seem like all that good of an idea to me.
I’m sorry for being a jerk.
But you don’t even have an idea of what you even want the forum to be about. Forums are a lot of work. What happens when you get bored with it?

Why do you want to create a new forum anyhow? Is it so you can learn to create with discourse? Or is it just out of boredom?

3 Likes

Because I like Discourse and I just like forums. I think forums are fun. I already know that if I make one it probably won’t even take off, but still, it would be fun to make a community…

1 Like

You do you man, if you want to start a forum up just go for it once you got an idea going

As long as you know t probably will just be a small niche thing

2 Likes

Make one for your and your friends to hang out in!

5 Likes

Totally agree. If you don’t have a clue at to what you want, don’t even start.

3 Likes

Competitive water drinking.

4 Likes

I can drink a bottle of water in 2-3 seconds :raised_hand:

3 Likes

After much thinking I have an idea. How about a stuttering forum? Stuttering isn’t a popular topic to talk about and I don’t think there are many forums (if any) about stuttering. And I stutter so maybe that would be good to make a forum about?

1 Like

It’s a unique idea, but I imagine you would probably need to know other people who stutter because the chances of people who stutter landing on a stuttering forum are pretty low, I imagine.

1 Like

I know people who stutter… I have like 6 friends that stutter.

And plus I know someone on this forum that stutters.

I find that personal forums are best used to connect with people you already know. Guilds in online games for example are great.

If you just want to create a forum with the hope that random people will stumble upon it through internet searches, that’s not going to work. Unless you create something so unique that a community doesn’t already exist for that subject matter.

1 Like

How about a forum specifically about asking others what types of forums could be made?

1 Like

Forumception

2 Likes

@MarkD’s idea is the best. If you can’t get your friends to go there and post — think of it like Discord but less voice chat and chat focused, more sentence and paragraph structured — then anything else is out of the question.

3 Likes