What’s a good trick to learn after Spirit Bomb and Tsunami Bomb?

OoOooo thanks for the spicy tip!

Tsunami Bomb was TaW week 6… see? You are participating already! It’s just that easy!

5 Likes

Soon as I read this I was going to suggest Superman and then saw it’s the first suggestion. That final hop through the triangle is tricky. Took me awhile to get it down.

I gotta jump back into TaW. I actually have went back and learned some prior weeks recently. Finally got the turtle trick consistent besides the final part which I haven’t attempted at all yet. Been meaning to do that.

2 Likes

I would suggest to stick to tricks based on the wrist mount. E.g: Lumiose tower.

1 Like

Just looked at tsunami bomb and it has a very cool 1.5 mount to wrist mount transition that is very cool and interesting. Thank you for the suggestion.

Mario &Luigi is a cool wrist mount trick i learned recently as well.

3 Likes

Superman is one of the greatest if not the greatest trick of all time (yeah, I came here from the early 2000s), I will die on that hill.

It actually taught me to land Magic Drop consistently. The final pop is a nightmare, but it forced me to find a lot of small things that you should watch out for to make it happen as you struggle. I think that Superman was (or still is) the trick that taught me to be better at learning tricks, because of all the small things that make the difference.

I also find it the most difficult of mentioned tricks (And Whut, Candy Rain and so on) and waaaay more difficult than Spirit Bomb although somehow they’ve always existed as a pair :smiley:

Great topic btw, would love to check different ideas for the progression that might pop up during the discussion. (partially as I’m looking for stuff for myself, being just one step ahead with the Superman).

2 Likes

THIS - I have learned every TAW for the last few years after I decided to get more “serious”.

And I can say it has helped me improve an insane amount.

4 Likes

Also, I just thought of this trick. It’s not really a trick like the ones your asking about but the trick ends in a wrist mount so you can lead into other wrist mount tricks like superman and spirit bomb after it.

2 Likes

Based on how long it took me to learn Spirit Bomb, I’m sure Superman will take me a few months. But that feeling when you finally get it is priceless.

1 Like

Just discovered this

1 Like

I think the title of that video is misleading. Maybe it’s meant to mean a “butterfly shaped” yoyo. It’s definitely not a stock Duncan Butterfly. It looks like he binds at the end. I’ve done Superman on a stock Duncan Butterfly and I had to throw as hard as I could and do it as fast as I could and just barely had enough spin left to get it back to my hand. It’s probably the toughest trick I’ve done.

5 Likes

Ya, you’re probably right. It’s difficult to make out the graphic in the yoyo, but it definitely does not look like a butterfly graphic.
IMG_6652

Also, how many tries did that take you?

Anyone have any tips for getting the Magic Drop portion of Superman more consistent?

1 Like

Make a gun shape. Thumb up and fingers pointing straight out. Keep that formation vertical and swing the yoyo close to your hand. Don’t swing too fast either. That is how I position my hands and I never have much trouble with the rejection.

1 Like

A lot :hot_face: haha.

1 Like

Ah I see. So since during the magic drop portion of the trick your fingers aren’t naturally in the gun shape (like how you would for a trapeze > magic drop), you consciously need to do that?

This kinda sounds like a recipe for burnout imo Like rickyyR was saying, you can always pause a trick and come back to it later. Idk I just really think setting aside tricks if they’re a grind has helped me improve and stay excited to learn and motivated to keep playing. I have also found tricks difficult and set them aside to learn some other stuff and then when I returned to the tricks, found them much easier. I don’t wanna say there’s a right way or wrong way to play Yoyo or learn tricks bc there’s not but just caution you that if you’re starting to feel too frustrated or burned out, maybe it’s time to pause the trick and work on smt else for a bit. It can be really fun to learn something cool but super easy and sometimes stepping back can be really rejuvenating. I also should say that pushing to learn hard tricks is an amazing way to improve your skills so Idk…it’s a hard balance lol have fun and good luck!

4 Likes

Well technically the gun shape isn’t as important here. The keys to success are vertical hand and opening up the wrist mount wide with you TH thumb; kinda like a handshake type position. Hopefully that make sense.

1 Like

Makes perfect sense. The first time I did exactly that and it worked, however, I’m yet to replicate it for some reason. All part of the learning experience!

1 Like

I definitely feel that. I feel like that’s what happened with Spirit Bomb for me. It felt so good coming back to it later and figuring it out.

2 Likes