What really contributes to a yoyo's stability?

I honestly cant figure this out, there seem to be so many differences in Stable yoyos.

Is it total rim weight?
weight on different levels?
a happy medium of rim weight to body weight?
shape?
pockets of extreme weight concentration?

Originally I thought it was total rim weight because that seemed to be the popular belief with the yoyos to back it up, but then I started to think about the 2010 Severe and the Supernova, those really dont have any rim weight, its all concentrated in one spot about halfway from the gap to the rim.

I’ve heard thatThe northstar seems to have gotten a step up from the the protostar because of the larger cap making it have more weight near the gap…

The DNA is supposedly stable by honestly I dont see any significant rim weight or crazy weight distribution, It looks like a nice classic round concept to me.

What the heck do you think contributes the most to stability? I really would like to hear all theories, proofs, examples, ideas… whatever you have.

-Matt

Weight distribution in regards to the shape, setup and design of the yoyo.

It’s not a matter of just slamming all the weight on the edge, and calling it a day, it’s all relative to what you want to create.

Consider this post from a physics wizard, Dirty Birdy:

1 Like

Kinda agree with above. What important is weight placement.

as for the severe, i think the actual rim is the mass it got on halfway to the rim, the rest of it is just extended rims.
what i know is, they do this to minimize the risk of makeing the yoyo unstable from having the rims too far apart.

Well, it’s much easier to get a coin
Spinning faster than say a hula
Hoop… It all has to do with rotational inertia

Another example is that a tight rope walker uses a long pole rather than an old
Mans cane… The pole is more resistant
To rotation…

But with stability you tend to sacrifice speed