What other yoyo's play like the 1st Run CLYW Avalanche?

Hey guys, I just got back into the hobby again! My all time favorite throw has always been the 1st Run of CLYW Avalanches. I have owned and tried many yoyos of different brands and to this day it’s still my favorite. So I am just curious on what yoyos there are now that plays just like it? I appreciate the recommendations!!

4 Likes

It’s a favorite of mine as well. Unfortunately I haven’t found any other yoyos that feel the same.

Fortunately, I’ve found several more Avalanches for sale which I’ve bought.

3 Likes

I think the second run Avalanche would play a lot like it…

1 Like

You might think so, but the design was actually changed between runs after the CAD file was lost. Similar design still, but definitely a different style of play

5 Likes

Great, now I have to compare my 3 avalanche and see if I notice a difference. Thanks a lot. Just kidding, I never knew this, cool piece of yoyo trivia.

But seriously, is there an easy way to tell the difference?

4 Likes

My og avalanche stays in my rotation fairly often because I can’t ever seem to find anything that has that same feel. That said I see a fair amount of them popping up if you have a little time to wait it out!

2 Likes

Personally, the first runs ever felt the most solid feel while playing if that makes any sense haha

Yeah, that’s my plan too haha. I’ve had the original KK one and I miss it to this day :sob:

I feel this way as well. My favorites are my BBB which doesn’t have the rim groove between the outer rim and catch zone (I originally thought this was a pre-pro but now I’m not so sure; as far as I know, there’s only 4 that don’t have the rim groove) and my Jack Rabbit (which I believe is a 3rd run) because it plays a bit lighter.

I wonder if there’s a noticeable weight difference between the four I own…

1 Like

How can you tell if its a first run, is it based on the box art or something else?

Colorway is the main indicator.

Northern Lights, Krisztian Kalusza, and Aurora Borealis were 1st runs. Not sure what other colors were part of that run.

2 Likes

These were the first run of avalanches

6 Likes

So is this a first run Avalanche?

What’s the colour-way called?

3 Likes

This just happens to be my favorite avalanche!

9 Likes

Yes. I had one. I think it was just called the Kristian Kaluza Avalanche.

1 Like

It could be but the second run had a Kristian Kaluza colorway as well

1 Like

Ahh I forgot about the speckles. Nice find!

Didn’t know Dogfish Creek was a 1st run!

1 Like

Hastily weighed my four this morning. Didn’t bother to take the strings off, though I don’t believe they’re all the exact same length; but they are all the same brand.

The numbers do make sense. The BBB and JR definitely feel lighter.

4 Likes

Yeah weight is the easiest way to tell first run, if you have a scale. Much easier than trying to dig up colorway archives

Perhaps I am going crazy, but the JT Shaqshine FG plays a lot like the first run Avalanche with some added power and stability from the stainless steel rings.

There are a lot of similarities in the shape:

I would be interested to know if anyone agrees with the comparison.

5 Likes