What other skill toys do y’all use

It’s been yo-yo and spin tops for me but I have to say that…my wife just happens to be my favorite skill toy. :grin:

2 Likes

I went to Menards the other day and they have all their Christmas garbage out. Among the trash was a little box full of Duncan butterflies and next to it, a little box of Duncan tops for 3 bucks. I’ve always wanted to try tops but never wanted to spend real money on it since I didn’t know if I would like it. If you have a Menards anywhere near you, it’s worth picking a couple up. They are very fun and oh so much more difficult than I expected. Haha

4 Likes

Recently got into devil/flower sticks out of the blue - was looking up skill toys, saw “devil stick” and something clicked…a very cheesy commercial in the 90s but the toy looked cool. I wanted one but never saw them in stores. I tried to make some with wood dowels with no idea of weight, just thought that the dowels would be it. Did not work, got bored quick.

Fast forward to 2024, bought a flower/devil stick with some Xmas money and rabbit hole I went down, and have made a few of my own I’m quite proud of…that actually work!

I’ll post some more photos tomorrow if the full sized ones but because I like tiny things, I made a mini that can fit in a backpack and can be operated with fingers or mini sticks.

6 Likes

I’ve been casually picking up spinning poi since last summer and it’s a lot of fun! I don’t think I’ll get super serious with it but it’s fun, relaxing and creative and I enjoy that!

8 Likes

My sister used to do poi back in the day (with Polynesian dancing), the cords definitely seemed much longer but that looks relaxing and satisfying. 2024 seems to be the year of “explore skill toys” as I’m also attempting to toss juggle with the coordination of Charlie Brown with 2 left hands.

3 Likes

I would love to learn some cards manipulation but I do not have time as yoyoing take already all my free time but cards tricks looks sick!

5 Likes

I just yoyo mainly now
I was into speed cubing but I was too lazy to learn cfop so I still used the beginners method :man_facepalming: :joy:
I used to have a Kendama idk what happened into it but I was really bad at it anyways

Yo-yo, kendama, begleri, juggling (hopefully learning clubs this spring).

I’ve been meaning to find time to learn card magic and I wanna pick up a tri-thology by playexcess in the near future

with my 3d printer i shall try all the skill toys… at some point. i got a backlog of neat things to print and no where near the time or print cycles to do them all anytime soon but by god im gonna try.

5 Likes

I have a Kendama and a Balisong trainer but I’m not very good with either. Yoyo is where it’s at. I mainly play unresponsive so just doing some 5A, 0A or looping is enough to switch things up for me most of the time.

3 Likes

No clips of me doing anything at this time but diabolo is another one I enjoy. Can do your basic spinning up on both bearing/fixed axle, some tosses and that’s about it. Hoping to pick up some more tricks soon with it as I was attempting some leg orbits with some collision issues…

2 Likes

Update - here are my matching full sized and mini diy sticks.

3 Likes