What is your biggest yoyo pet peeve?

This and fussy bearings that don’t want to get clean.

Related to this…. when it happens on seemingly every throw I pick up.

6 Likes

It is not a pet peeve but a disappointing realization about the yo-yo community that happens from time to time.
It is a bitter sweet pill when someone does an angry liquidation of a collection
( these type of sales are usually amazing )
I have seen a few happen on the forum. They start with this statement somewhere in the reasoning that goes something like this.
“Why do I invest so much of myself, time and money to a hobby that no longer brings me joy”
The ones I have seen on the forum go fast and usually people are very aware it is going down. I am always excited for the opportunity but sad someone lost the enjoyment of their collection.

I just hope I do not fall into the same situation myself someday with my modest collection.

Weekend! everyone have a good one

18 Likes

I keep a pile of clean bearings in several types ready to go so I can just swap bearings and clean them as time permits.

13 Likes

Lol true that. I’m the one who messages and requests pics of the axle with string removed lol. Some are ok with it but some act like I’m devaluing their sale lol. Who are these people that find cruddy strings desirable? Lol

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s a peeve but I am a bit sad at the huge gap of offerings for fixed axle yoyos currently. Duncan still makes the classics and Tom Kuhn offers a few but then it jumps right to boutique. Boutique is fine if you can afford it but the availability is the real problem. only a select few have the honor of getting them and buyouts by the select few are obviously a requirement lol. Basically I’m sad the middle ground is really barren right now.

*I understand supply and demand and am not bashing makers or buyers. I’m just sad that the middle ground has shrunk so significantly during my last hiatus.

10 Likes

My biggest yo-yo pet peeve is probably the fact that I don’t have enough money to buy every Good Life Mantra ever made. One day.

2 Likes

I was always told that was the bearing breaking in if it quiets down again? Have I been wrong!?!? Lol

3 Likes

Don’t unscrew my yoyo! I’ll unscrew my yoyo :3

3 Likes

No way! This is how I know that pesky lube is working its way out of the bearing so it can spin dry and free!

This is especially satisfying with NSKs because, in my experience, they’re dead quiet, then scream, then they quiet back down and are perfect!

4 Likes

People being incredibly anal about vibe and unscrewing yoyos. It’s a toy, guys, have fun with it.

17 Likes

Lol, yeah I’ll unscrew my own…but if someone is gonna cross thread it and ruin it I’d rather it be me than someone else :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Not the biggest deal but I’m not a fan when a yoyo smells like smoke.

12 Likes

Having to buy to try.

14 Likes

People who have a very strong negative opinion about a yoyo they admit they have never owned or thrown and then try to get others onboard with their negative thoughts on said yoyo. No, I’m not talking about novelty, gimmicky yoyos.

13 Likes

I honestly kinda feel this way about the Edge :joy:

I’ve never thrown it, but for some reason I just don’t like it… :person_shrugging:

It’s totally odd because I love other YYF throws, but something about the Edge just rubs me the wrong way. I have no idea where my distaste for it comes from.

However, I’ve never gone out of my way to stop others from loving it. :grinning::+1:

3 Likes

Dude I swear this only happens on the first 2 throws after a LONG day and I just wanna throw a few practice tricks/binds before doing nothing for the evening

4 Likes

When I’m walking along and throwing, and a bevy of attractive women is coming the other way, and I casually launch into my most impressive combo, timing it so I’ll be engaged in the coolest part by the time they notice me, and my string tangles.

So instead of my carefully-timed glory grab, I end up walking past them picking the string out of the gap like a loser.

Happened like three times yesterday.

Ivan

14 Likes

Yup.
Nothing impresses the ladies like mad yo-yo skills :slight_smile:

13 Likes

The belief that responsive yoyos are basic or for beginners and that unresponsive yoyos are more advanced.

19 Likes

I never forget.

doja

16 Likes