What is the most generic, base-line throw?

Yes please I need that

3 Likes

Simple, a yoyo made out of this material:

You bring up a good point though and I think reviewers should be more explicit in mentioning what yoyos they’re comparing the currently reviewed yoyo against since everyone has a different idea of what “lots of rim weight” or “long sleep time” means.

5 Likes

hot take: such thing doesnt exist.

5 Likes

For 30+ years my baseline was a Duncan Butterfly.

I picked up a $15 B-grade and found the bind. First unresponsive I bought after that was the…Shutter.

I bought it specifically as a baseline. It wasn’t the shape or colorway, everyone has one or has touched one. So it’s easy to compare and also good for “Is it maintenance or me?”

Sales and recognition have to be considered. The product I most compare throws to is sneakers. Nike produces so many. Fancy limited run colorways sponsored by your favorite player, specialties for your particular sport, and the Chuck Taylor. Everyone has owned or can at least identify Chucks. That’s the Shutter.

3 Likes

I was thinking about this actually it could be a palate cleanser of sorts

2 Likes

Draupnir is always the benchmark

2 Likes

Most generic, base-line throw? Duncan Imperial.

1 Like

One person says Imperial another says Draupnir, yeah we’re gonna get a consensus, sure we are! :wink:

6 Likes

EVERYONE knows what an imperial is and how it plays. Even grandma. I haven’t played with a Draupnir, but it’s probably broken and won’t come back like a normal yoyo.

5 Likes