What is the best way to remove an axle that is stripped and won't come out?

I need some suggestion help???
What is the best way to remove an axle that is stripped and won’t come out?

If you are planning to throw away the axle when you get it out, then I would wrap some duct tape or electrical tape around it and use pliers to try to get it out. You can also try putting the axle in a vice (with duct tape or electrical tape on it) and twisting the yoyo off by hand. The tape is purely to help the pliers or vice grip the axle, and has nothing to do with trying to save the axle in this situation.

Don’t bother with tape. Just grab it w/the pliers and turn it out. Throw it away.

Pliers is the easiest way.

However, if you need to save the axle, an absolute sure fire method is to find two nuts that are a match for the yoyo axle. On most modern yoyos, these will be metric M4 x 0.7 nuts. You can find these in the screw/nail section of Home Depot. Metrics are typically stored in special drawers.

Screw both nuts down the axle. Then, take a pair of thin pliers and grip only the bottom nut closest to the yoyo half. Begin unscrewing. The bottom nut will push against the top nut and allow you remove the axle.

This is why Jason’s a moderator. He knows his stuff.

Yuki

I was going to suggest this, but I don’t know if he can screw them on. He said the axle is stripped.

The only reason I suggested tape was to grip it better. I tried to use pliers on a stripped axle once and the pliers couldn’t grip it without the tape.

I would have never thought of that! So smart…

It’s always been my experience that it works better w/o tape. Metal to metal always gives a firmer grip. If you can’t grip it tight enough use a small vice grip pliers.

YMMV…

1 Like

AKA, The Double Nut Method To Remove an Axle.

What kind of axle is it? Is it metal, or plastic. Is the yoyo a Bolt and Axle yoyo, or a just axle yoyo??? ??

It’s metal… and it’s completely stripped. :frowning:
I had this throw for two days. I took it apart to undo a string knot and the axle fell out into the grass and was never to be seen again. SO I started checking some of the axles from other throws I have. this one fit but was way to long. Then it wouldn’t come out at all. So now it’s a nightmare. And now i need two new axles.

I don’t think the double nut will work on the stripped of an axle. I could be wrong but i think the tape would work better because it looks like there isn’t threads at all

Pliers…

That looks like there are no threads on it at all.

I tried the tape thing. That was an awesome suggestion. I tried Both duck tape and electrical tape. The tape would just spin and bunch up. I tried it with three different sets of pliers also… I can’t get that dang thing out…LOL!!! Next I am going to try to find a friend with a vice.

Try putting the whole thing in the freezer for half an hour and try again. Different contraction rates for the axle vs aluminum might work to your advantage.

Jason

Or you could just get a hex key to fit the axle (YYF bearing removal took)

When they’re stuck like that, a hex key won’t work.

Get a vice grips pliers.
DON’T use tape (for the 300th time).

Using a drill is actually the best way to get an axle out. You clamp the yoyo by the axle on the drill, tighten the drill as much as you can, and twist the yoyo the way the axle would come out. I’m planning on making a video in an hour or so.

Here ya go :slight_smile:

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,55038.new.html#new

How could you strip an axle that much???

Awesome!!! That was a great idea!!! It worked!! Thank you so much yoyospirit. Your video was awesome!!! Thank you everyone for your great ideas!!! Yay!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Now does anyone have a spare yoyorecreation Sleipnir axle?