What is it about yoyo collecting?

Well I have 7 snare drums (I had another 6 until they were stolen) and two sets of cymbals (5 per set)
Oh yea, well over 100 yoyo’s. Many of these I bought when they were released and many of these I just set aside. Then there is my fixed axle collection. I have about 20 Duncan Butterfly’s and several wood Imperial styles from the 50’s. The great thing about old yoyo’s is that they are a small investment and a fun item to collect.

I use to be all Strat. Still have a Strat that I absolutely love. However, the longer I play the more I play primarily Telecasters. Could have 50 Tele’s and still need “one more.”

I’ve seen these before, are you on thegearpage? Also, Ted is one of my favorites. A friend of mine took lessons from Ted for a number of years in the 80’s. So when I discovered Ted, and began going through his website it was great to be able to pick his brain. Especially trying to figure out what all the X’s and O’s were on those lead sheets. I own my friend’s Tokai telecaster now, that thing has some stories. He played it with Ted, with Danny Gatton with Roy Buchanan and all of those guys have played this tele. I’ve swapped it out, but still have it, when my friend opened for Roy he loved the sound of his bridge pickup so much that after the show he asked Roy what he was using. Roy said that it was a pickup from this guy in California that was making pickups, his name is Seymour. Roy then gave him Seymour’s phone number and told him to call him and ask him for the “pickup you made for Roy.” So I’ve got that pickup also, its a very early Seymour Duncan, what would eventually be his Broadcaster reissue. That pickup screams! It was actually way too hot and bright, I’ve got it in a cigar box tele I built.

But there’s another step.

1. YYE post a blog with yet another amazing looking yoyo which I just HAVE to own. Add another $100+ to your shopping cart ;D

I don’t think these were posted on the gear page. There were on TDPRI and on the Ted Greene site.

I’ve owned Ted’s 4 books since the 70’s. I was only mature enough and confident enough to actually get anything out of his books about 8 years ago. I think they are the most overwhelming and intimidating jazz guitar books every written. And yet, they may also be some of the best.

I find that I just have to let his chord charts wash over me. Especially with the “Modern Chord Progressions” book. It’s just too overwhelming otherwise. I play them, memorize some of them, but mostly just enjoy the beautiful harmony. Then, when I’m playing with other people, I’ll notice that sometime I’m grabbing a chord which I normally wouldn’t grab. Somewhere in the back of my mind I heard the same harmony I heard in one of his exercises and just played it without thinking. There are several times I’ve found myself thinking “Whoa, that was Ted right there.”

Gotta bring this back to the original post. I wonder if Ted Greene ever played yoyo? ::slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed that part of your statement for you ;D

Now, back to the yoyo discussion.

1 Like

I guess it’s like collecting anything else, stamps, coins, baseball cards, jewelry. I think a “collection” can be 10 or it can be thousands and beyond. The good thing is, you’re in control of what you want to collect, and how big you want your collection to get. So, you’re always driving the bus, and because of that, you can change your mind at any time. In the middle of collecting Delrins, you can say to yourself, “I’m bored with those, and I’ll collect wood now.” Then, you can even sell off the Delrins to buy the wood, to give you something else interesting to do. And money is never 100% down the drain when it’s spent on throws. When you learn to trade or sell things you don’t want, some of that money recycles down the line. The money that doesn’t recycle was spent on something you love to do, so it will be worth it anyway.

I agree that there are just so many yo-yos on the market, and I never get to try or buy even 20% of them. Part of the fun of collecting is trying to catch up with what’s out there, and see what will catch your eye the most. Those throws end up making up your collection, and for that reason, everything you own becomes “special” in it’s own way.

1 Like

If only my parents understood why I want to buy so many ;D

For me at first collecting was all about trying out different styles of yoyos: looping, offstring, big, small, fast, slow. Now collecting has become finding unique yoyos that fit my taste (54-57 mm diameter, medium to fast paced, and pretty colors) and trying out different brands. It’s awesome how after owning some yoyos for years they can still make you smile every time you throw them.

i think you’re on to something.
multiple choice (you may choose more than one).

if only my ______ understood why i want to buy so many ;D
a. parents
b. wife
c. girlfriend
d. husband
e. boyfriend
f. dog / cat
g. god
h. boss
i. sheriff
j. mortgage company
k. friends
l. teacher
m. investment advisor
n. parol officer
o. other (fill in the blank)

gw

You may want to add an “all of the above” option. :wink:

I think what’s even more amazing is that in a collection topic, 2 out of 3 people don’t know how to spell Delrin.