What is a High End Yo-Yo...To You?

Non production. Even small runs.

I’d put the Raptor, DV888, and those other throws priced around the $50 mark in the ‘mid-range’ category. High end for me is most of the stuff produced by CLYW, One Drop, and most of those other $100-$130-ish throws. And then we have what I call the top shelf stuff. YYR, Turning Point, the more expensive CLYW (Chief, Cliff), the Anglam, etc. Price is, of course, just a rough guide. Stuff being on sale doesn’t automatically drop it down a tier.

For me, ‘high end’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘high quality’, likewise, ‘low end’ doesn’t mean ‘made by gremlins’.

Yuki

I don’t think those examples are either low end OR high end. I think they’re somewhere in the middle.

It’s high-end if the product description says it is.

Pretty much any good ball bearing yoyo. At least to me because you can get longer sleep time and do a awsome tricks!

$75+ and not plastic.

$75 because One Drops stuff is high end and it costs around there.

People tend to consider One Drop a “high end” brand. Based on the above, would you knock them out of the high end brand box when their plastic is released, or would you see them the same after making a cheap throw? I think if the quality of that plastic is great, people will still want to call them high end. We’ll see if the image changes. Even YYR made a cheap plastic.

No, I wouldn’t have taken that job.

Maybe companies should branch off when making a higher end or lower end throw. Like Toyota when they manufacture their luxury cars, they named it Lexus. Or, Honda, they named it Acura; Nissan = infinity. I don’t think no one really would buy an $80k Toyota, at least not the majority.

I’d consider it high end if I’m getting what I paid for and some. I can buy a $250k Lamborghini, but why not a $100k Maserati? They’re both considered high end cars on the market. Mercedes has cars that are $500k and also some at about $30k. Still considered high end. I can buy a fully loaded Honda accord for about $30k with more luxury options than that $30k C class Benz. To me, that accord will be high end.

Sorry for talking about cars.

You make relevant points as it speaks to the “superior quality” part of the definition. It’s not always what name is on it that makes it “high end” or just the price. It is also the quality/features/performance, that are to be considered. I think talking cars puts it in a context most people can relate to, other than yo-yoing. That’s fine with me.

anything gold plated
gouda, 24k pyro, pure, and all of the other assorted special edition gold yoyos

Titanium.

Anything I’d find fun to use.

If you won’t let your girlfriend pick it up and " play" with it then its high end.

3 Likes

thats hilarious.

I’m sorry, but does that yoyo actually have lizard skin on it? That’s about as fancy as it gets.

This sums it up for me.

For me it’s about performance. If you were a street racer, would you rater have a Ferrari, or the Japanese import that was tweaked and tuned to beat it? What if you were racing for money? Just saying, there are different values than just cost.

I like my YYR Attune a lot. I can throw it better than any other yoyo I’ve tried so far (and I have 18 of them, and 8 of them are YYr and I have a Turningpoint as well). The Attune to me is the right fit right now. It performs well, and is precision made. It is a high end throw. We’ll see how much I like the Anglam or Oxy or new NSCO Ti when they get here.

I play bass. I could go “high end” end get a Ritter, a Fedora, a Carl Thompson, or I could do what I did, spend one third as much, and get a Cliff Bordwell. I could afford the more expensive models, but I loved the bordwell more. It fit me better, and was every bit the performer. If you tell me my Bordwell is not high end, I’ll laugh at you. Even Victor Wooten was impressed by them. Cliff just hasn’t hit critical mass with endorsement deals yet. His basses are monsters. Search for him if you play bass. Definitely high end.

Here’s mine, weighing in at 6.5 pounds, plays amazing, sounds great, and perfectly balanced:

Something I can’t afford - So pretty much every yoyo.