what got you started?

Andre and Augie

WHAT?

Might as well say mine.
The year was 2003, my mom had gone to the swap meet and bought me a yoyo because they had a huge sale and they were like a dolllar or so. The yoyo was some offbrand chinese throw, REALLY low quality. It had an autoreturn mechanism, so I didn’t get it to sleep all that much, but I did manage to learn forward pass, and everyone knows the feelings of addiction after finally hitting a trick the first time. My yoyo broke right after that and I didn’t have anything to play with really. Fast forward to the year 2009, I was in 8th grade at this point, that yoyo addiction still strong within me. I had gotten my hands on some cash, and I finally thought “I should get a yoyo.” I went to WalMart, and I bought 2 Duncan Imperials, and a Duncan Butterfly. I didn’t know string was replaceable at the time, so I bought a new yoyo everytime my string knotted, I probably wasted 50 bucks cash. Soon WalMart stopped selling my beloved yoyos, and I was pissed, I had gotten a sleeper to go for 15 seconds, I was ready to learn trapeze! Sadly, yoyos in my life were put away for another while. Fast forward to 2012, my and my friend hanging out, we decide to go to the plaza for some delicious In n Out (California repping, best burger ever). There was a Sports Chalet in the plaza, and we figured we might as well screw around in there for a while. I noticed that there was a yoyo aisle and I was ecstatic. I bought a Fast 201 and played it like crazy. I snapped both strings that came with it though, and now I was stringless again, without the slightest clue that you can buy yoyo string online. (I didn’t know how big it was) Eventually, I wanted to play with a yoyo again, I didn’t want to use the Fast 201 though, I heard a lot of better things about the Velocity. I dropped the 20 bucks down and got it, I was proud. I learned man on the trapeze, double or nothing etc etc, and I was massively hooked at this point. I figured, there has to be more people, or atleast a good online yoyo store, and I found myself here at yoyoexpert. I played and played, and finally bought a Northstar (I love Jensen Kimmitt), and now I am here, throwing.

tl;dr yoyos got me into yoyoing

it was so long ago since i watched that how to be a player video, i forgot that Steve brown was Steve brown. so when i went to yoyo 365 "im steve brown and this is [new trick] i was like ohh this is some hipster with his side bag and big beard but then i saw a picture of him shaved and i was like :o my mentouuur!!!

I wish I could remember.

Part of me wants to say I discovered yoyo’ing from Cizrek’s youtube channel, was probably there for astrojax. But I’ll never remember exactly… I’ve tried to figure it out before and that’s the only thing I could think of.

When I was visiting my relatives house their friends pop by to say hi
And the friends of theirs are in close relationship with me so the uncle took a yoyo out and ask if I wanted to play with it so I pick up the yoyo and did a sleeper.
Basically I played unresponsive before I even played responsive
And that yoyo was nameless but I wanted to get one so I ask that uncle what was the brand and name
He said YOMEGA gave it to him to test so yeah
Sadly that yoyo could sleep for 5mins and it is stable but it was not out
Then my next yoyo was PGM followed by Northstar then a sOMETHING Firmy

The first time I met Andre, we went to a movie and then bowling in the summer of 2004. Since then, I’ve tried to start yoyoing, but even with Andre’s expert help I can’t get past the bind return =/

me = no talent

I was going through wal-mart with my son, looking to get him a toy. I saw a Duncan Butterfly in this stack of random toys and that made me remember how much I liked to yoyo when I was in elementary/early middle school. Then I remembered being in elementary school and some team of yoyoers came and did a show for the whole school. I can’t remember who they were, but they were good and they gave out books that the students could order yoyos from. I wanted to get one of the good ones, but my family didn’t have the money. So I get home with this Duncan Butterfly and play with it for a while and it eventually breaks. After that I start looking at stuff on the internet and bought myself a Dark Magic II. This was about a month or two ago, and now I’m throwing a 7075 Chief.

I watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrLruuP-OXM

blew my mind!, where can I learn this? I asked
then Jason Sent me a link to yoyoexpert, and here I am.

I hadn’t yoyo’d since I was a little kid with a Duncan Butterfly. I was on a kite forum and someone posted a picture of the guts of a modern yoyo. I was very curious about a yoyo with a bearing and I wanted to try one. Got a Dark Magic, if I recall correctly, and was hooked.

Close enough to two years ago, as a not very serious idea, a friend brought an old yoyo to school. Then I thought it would be something fun to do or get in to. So I went on YouTube and found C3yoyodesign’s promotional/advertising videos (splash series) and was extremely impressed. Then found YoYoExpert.

Matt would that kite forum have been GWTW?

A youthful reminiscence, and an internet search…

Yeah - MB & Synthesis.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2153/2262411651_bf0a26832e_z.jpg
Synthesis Web outside by MBsShots, on Flickr

there was a yoyo fad in 4th grade. been throwin since

Long story short my brother inspired me to start.

I remember buying a responsive yo yo for looping in my local supermarket. And learning to rock the baby. Then going onto the Internet to find more tricks to learn. I saw Mickey kicking butt bought myself a Speeder. Unfortunately it only lasted a few weeks, then it got crushed by a car.

i’m a rubiks cube speed solver, and one of the guys i follow on you tube a vid of the sleep time of something by magic. i had some of the auto returns when i was in middle school and figured i’de give it a shot again. started doin a little research and bought a T5 as a x-mas present to my self for $15 from that site we don’t mention. and here it is almost 4 months and landed a clean kwijibo yesterday on my code 2 for the first time. i am very much in love with this hobby.

Cool! nice to see a familiar name. here i am getting into this new hobby and having a blast too.
cisco

Smothers Brothers video that I received back in 7th grade…18 whole years ago. Wow. 31 feels old suddenly.