What does “floaty” mean to you?

Well the original question was the word floating in a yo-yo review as a description so it is meaning the specific yo-yo like my examples of DNA and new breed, they seem to catch a little more air pausing for a moment longer than most yo-yos creating a neat look to style and tricks.

I’m glad this was already a topic. Floaty. A nice adjective. I would say my YYF Horizon Ultra, MYY N12, V6, M002, and Silencer feel floaty to me based on the descriptions others have given. Does anyone have a yoyo that others have called “floaty” and you disagree with that description?

How well I’m able to make my tricks flow with the yoyo.

1 Like

I agree with what others have said: floaty is more how you play. For example, Tyler has a very “floaty” style. I’m convinced he can make just about any yoyo play “floaty”. The actuall throwing starts at @ 2:03.

2 Likes

The Float plays… floaty.

No, seriously! Other major entries I’d put in the “floaty” category:

• Elite
  • Banshee (2017 or earlier only)

I’d say it is a combination of weight (lower than 66g, typically) and relatively large size for the weight. Probably weight distribution as well. One thing that shocked me when I looked it up is that the Elite is indeed relatively light (in grams of absolute weight) but I would have NEVER guessed that based on the way it played.

4 Likes

I can’t be the only guy here with a floatOmeter.

2 Likes

I think there are some concrete criteria that determine float. I do believe it’s a real thing:

• Yoyos with a more even weight distribution tend to feel floaty

• The weight to size ratio can determine it e.g. a large yoyo with a fairly low weight can feel floaty.

• A less aerodynamic designs such as organic shapes can feel more floaty than others

• Yoyos with a thin and deep rim tend to feel floater (these also often have a more even distributed weight).

Every yoyo I have that I’d call floaty has at least one of these criteria.

1 Like

The floatiest yoyo I own I would say is my Onedrop Benchmark 2016 O, it is also the only organic shaped yoyo I own which is weird because I really really like the shape! It is a really lovely floaty thing though.

I find my CLYW Puffin and Orca both play quite floaty as well!

1 Like

If you’re standing on the edge of a skyscraper trying to take a selfie and you accidentally fall off the side of the building; that feeling that you get about 50 floors down; that is kind of a floaty feeling.

When you run out of air space; that is kind of a flatty feeling.

On a more serious note; Smashing makes a yo-yo called the Float. If you really want to know what a floaty feeling yo-yo experiences; that is easily the number one ticket for a floaty ride.

And an amazingly fun yoyo.

2 Likes

@codinghorror @zslane @Glenacius_K @anon19434144

This is THE definition of a floaty yoyo. The debate is over, we can go home now.

3 Likes

The Smashing Crucible is also good, but it’s severely underweight to the point of near-parody, I think a true “floaty” is just a little underweight.

Anyway yeah the Float is kinda awesome, highly recommend.

The Float meets all of my criteria of what makes a floaty yoyo but one.