What do you like better? Finding your grail yoyo, or actually playing?

Tbh I like the hunt better than the play. What’s your opinion?

2 Likes

Actually playing

I’m at the point where I’ve done enough searching. Both are fun though.

7 Likes

Same lowkey

2 Likes

You gotta play so you know what to hunt and hunt what you know you want to play…:thinking:

8 Likes

Definitely playing, but I haven’t been into yoyo for very long.

With some of my older hobbies like music, I enjoy droolling over gear vs playing

3 Likes

I’ve always enjoyed playing more. I prefer playing. I find hunting stressful, possibly because I’m not sure i actually have a grail to search for… however i LOVE buying a new yoyo.

7 Likes

Playing my grail.

7 Likes

I love buying out every yoyo that I know somebody else wants.

I wait for the drops and buy all the best colors. Any yoyo that somebody talks about being their dream yoyo. Those are the yo-yos I buy.

I try to generate as much misery as possible. I have a special motivation…

I manufacture Kleenex. Business is Great! I sell Kleenex by the pallet… make a grip of greenery… and use the proceeds to continue ruining yoyo players dreams.

13 Likes

I think my needs have changed as I’m getting better/educated about what I like to throw.

Only a year in so far. So I don’t have a grail yet.

Maybe I have it now and I will trade it away.
They say you never realise till it’s gone.
Maybe I haven’t had enough history under my wings yet. My grail is yet to reveal itself.

2 Likes

Lord don’t start me on this haha.
I’ve butted heads many times with my friends in the community on this topic. I enjoy the hunt, and I have come to respect and understand the collector side of yoyoing more over the last year.

But to me, yoyoing will always be about yoyoing.

8 Likes

Finding a grail, not even close…

3 Likes

Getting what you want isn’t always better than wanting what you have. I don’t really get excited much over discovering yoyos, other than a prestine Snow Weasel, that would be awesome, everything else is just another yoyo.

4 Likes

The hunt also includes the color. You can play a beater of the same yoyo and it’s the same game, but nothing compares to actually catching that grail

2 Likes

But why do you want the grail so much if not to enjoy playing it?

My favorite is really enjoying playing a yoyo that I’m pleased with. Like playing a grail.

9 Likes

I like both, don’t get me wrong. I just like one more than the other

1 Like

I absolutely love the history / stories around a handful of brands between the mid-90s and now. Over the years I’ve narrowed the focus of my collection to these few brands (ProYo, Dert, early Peaks, early General-Yo) and it gets harder and harder to find the outstanding models for my collection.

Looking for months (even years in some cases) to add one more piece to seemingly never ending puzzle is awesome. I of course enjoy playing them to, but anything I can do with one of my “grails” I can do with any $20 yoyo.

For me it’s about the buildup. I can learn a trick in a few days and have it smooth in a few weeks, there are some yoyos that have taken months or years to find.

9 Likes

I’m not really sure what to have for my grail search anymore. I’ve gotten a few grails this year I never thought I would get (grind mutant 2 and a specific colorway peak I’ve never seen on the bst before).

I’ve had Derts, og peaks, and other rare stuff in the past but I’m running out of cool stuff to look for.

Things I would like to try one day would be a sasha metal hitman and a skon paper yoyo.

2 Likes

listening to myself talk

• quoth the raven
2 Likes

You don’t care a pile a dirt about yoyo collecting.

Now… on the other hand>

You do know a pile about collecting Dert yo-yos.

You most certainly have a rather large pile a Derts, haha.

4 Likes

Easily finding a throw you’ve been searching for. Nailing a trick is satisfying, but finding that throw you’ve been looking for is something you can then cherish forever.

2 Likes