What differentiates one metal YoYo from another? 40$ vs 150$?

You know what, Steve is right. I retract my earlier opinion, since I was proved wrong this morning by my friend. I’m not really good enough to judge differences anyways. To the OP, for playing purposes, get something cheap. If you have cash to burn and a good internet connection, here’s the link you need to visit: http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/manufacturer/10/Caribou-Lodge

1 Like

Everyone should determine what their budget is, and start there. The thing is, you can get really good yoyos at pretty much every single price point these days. This is not to say that some cheap ones aren’t crap or that some pricey ones aren’t amazing, just that if you say “my budget is $60”, there are at least a dozen great yoyos under $60 that are good enough for you to win a World Championship with.

If you find a company you love and want to support, and their products suit your tastes, support them. If you have no loyalties as such, then determine your budget and then shop for specs within that price range.

There are more stellar options for yoyo players than ever in the history of the industry. It’s easier to find a good yoyo than a bad one. Enjoy it!

1 Like

What differentiates a $40 yoyo from a $150 yoyo is the price tag. It really is as simple as that.

I always get a kick out of reading these types of threads. The theories on CLYW are the most amusing.

1 Like

Ok! I think I got some good answers here.

Thanks to everyone who confirmed my guess about the production costs!
Bigger thanks to those who gave a personal/emotional argument for why they’d be willing to pay the extra money.

Oh and sorry for inconveniencing you Steve <3

Actually, I think it is simply explained using basic math. 150 divided by 40 = 3.75

Which simply identifies that some people are either more willing and/or able to spend 3.75 times more money for a Yoyo that that may not even come close to playing 3.75 times better than a 40 dollar Yoyo.

Steve Brown won the Bay Area Classic(Blindfolded) with a 20 dollar Yoyo.

1 Like

deleted

Actually, I find it harder to make a really good budget metal, than it is to make a really good high end throw.

Do you consider the Ares Star a high end or a budget? Does it matter if its priced $60 or $140?
Same with YYF, their made in US products never go below $80 iirc, but $45 shutter and horizon is exactly your average Chinese price tag. And then there is also C3.
And thats still not to mention all the smaller Chinese manufacturers, and ignoring the fact that Chinese people still buy $100+ American or Japanese throws when they have A LOT stuff like $60 Ares Star.
#Nothing will ever make sense unless we rule out Chinese products from the picture#

Hi All…

questions like this are obsolete and really have no place in the real world today.

there are too many reasons why someone buys a particular Yo-Yo and if there is difference
you will get 500 reasons what they are depending on who you talk to…

buying a Yo-Yo is like buying a toothbrush, it is a totally personal purchase.

I buy them because I like them, maybe it’s the color, the weight, the sex appeal who knows. if a Yo-Yo appeals to me and I have some extra cash I buy it, period.

some I may never throw. got a Chico 66 Roadstar because I am a 5th generation Californian, and took 66 all the way after college and simply wanted it (read we have a screaming great time.)

I also believe you can win with a tiny priced Yo-Yo or a big buck Yo-Yo depending on your skill.

so is one better, no not in my mind or for my money. if I want it price is not the issue; if I choose to spend the money I will.

ginny

yep

The largest determining factor is the size of the run.

I have a friend who used to do machining, and he told me that 6061 blanks are only like 9$, and the actual tooling and machining are like another 40-60. Individual costs (blanks, anodizing, packaging, parts) are not that much, but the big killer is actually programming the CNC machine, which is anywhere between 500$-3000$. Also, you need to take into account supporting the team/company, the time spent designing, and the time spent with art.

If you sold yoyos for 51$ and it costed 50$ to machine and box the individual ones, you’d probably have to sell about 1500 of them to break even, so when you make smaller runs, you have to make the individual yoyos much more expensive.