What did you get in the mail, 2022?

Thanks for the writeup!

I’m surprised that you find the Toonie to be more stable than both of them, because I wasn’t really that big of a fan of the Toonie thanks to it’s lack of stability. I find the Heist more stable. It becomes even more surprising when the Masaminis are in a whole different diameter class from the Toonie, in the mini range (40mm - 50mm), rather than the micro range (30mm - 40mm), though the V2 can be considered in the micro range. Either way, both are larger than the Toonie in diameter and a larger diameter usually means more stability so yeah.

Glad to hear that the V2 is a bit lighter on the string and less rock-ish, Sengoku did reduce the weight a bit on the V2, though not by much so the stability could’ve taken a hit. The smaller diameter probably also contributed to the reduction in stability of the V2.

2 Likes

Got wood.

kgb

30 Likes

That’s a beautiful throw. I was super tempted when it popped up in the store.

3 Likes

It looks even better when you’re holding it.

I’ve wanted a good wood fixie for a while. Not that I’m good at this style but i want to learn and improve. Throwing the eH is a beautiful thing. It’s incredibly smooth and throws so easy. And it’s wood so it feels organic and natural. A very different feel than the metals and plastics i normally toss.

I was not going to buy anything for a while but when i saw this in the shop, i jumped at the opportunity to grab one. I think it was the last in the store. Very, very happy with the decision.

My first impression is that i really love this throw. I’m working on trapeze stalls and flips. I’m looking forward to getting better with it but even if i don’t, just throwing it and playing with it brings a smile. So it’s all good.

throw it

kgb

8 Likes

Shout out to @chaselawrence97 for trading+selling me this TMBR 2018 Eh in ash! I haven’t thrown it much yet but it looks beautiful. Definitely unique from my other fixies. Chase was also very generous to throw in a pack of Zipline kot-n SE! :grin: The kot-n is my favourite string for fixies and I have yet to try the SE version. Much appreciated! :heart:

26 Likes

Favourite splash I ever did see on a yo-yo, just had to add the white string to keep it true.
Every time I throw it, the 1993 Spider-Man animated series theme song plays in my head.

24 Likes

Finally got myself a General yo OG 5 Star thanks to @kretzschmar!

35 Likes

I couldn’t resist my favorite yoyo once I saw it was back in stock!!

29 Likes

It is always nice to meet an old friend

27 Likes

Did the EH secretly restock too or just the pockeht?! [Nevermind, you answered in your next post] :frowning: Bummed I missed that!

On the bright side, these two arrived today. Been wanting both for a long time. The Shutter Wide Angle was available, but I just dragged my feet and the Hypothesis 2 was harder to find.

20 Likes

30 Likes

How do you like the Peregrine? I’m considering getting one, maybe with brass rings. I prefer bimetals that try to take my head off when I do something stupid—think Overdrive Draupnir territory. Is the Peregrine anywhere close?

4 Likes

Firstly, I like that the brass rings bring its weight into 65g territory, which is the sweet spot for me. I also like that added weight resides exactly where I like it: on the rims.

Having said that, I’m a little disappointed by its lack of spin power/duration and the slightly slippy binds. The mediocre spin power could be by design, or it could be that the stock bearing is over-lubed. The bearing is pretty quiet (hence the lube theory), but the yoyo doesn’t feel as powerful as other bi-metals I have (like almost any YYR bi-metal, or YYF’s own Hummingbird).

I would also say it isn’t as lightning quick as the Hummingbird. But then again, few yoyos are these days. Maybe the standard Peregrine is a little faster than mine since it is lighter, but if so I wouldn’t know since I’ve never tried one.

8 Likes

Hmmm. Could be the pads are slipping a bit when you’re throwing it. My Edge Infinity did that. After replacing the pads it felt like it had 3x the power. Didn’t matter if the bind was tight, as it unwound it slipped. It was hard to tell too.

5 Likes

if youre getting slippy binds that could very easily result in a throw that is lacking in power. The wound up string is a ton of potential kinetic energy that is only transfered to the yoyo when there is solid friction between the string and pads. if that is slipping, you wont transfer as much energy to the rotation of the throw.

6 Likes

damn you ryan, beat me by seconds =]

2 Likes

But you explained it better, so it’s a draw :rofl:

3 Likes

I totally agree that weak or hard pads could impact spin. But I also want to be forthright about the fact that the binds are only a little bit slippy. They aren’t horribly slippy. In fact, I’m sure that a lot of yoyoers wouldn’t consider them slippy at all. I am extremely sensitive to gaps and pads that don’t generate tight, snappy binds, and so to me any time I do a bind and the yoyo hesitates even slightly (or if I can hear the friction between string and pads during the bind), I call it “slippy”. But that’s just me, and I openly admit that I’m probably a little too sensitive to it.

5 Likes

That was the best spiderman intro song. Spiderman spiderman, does whatever a spiderman does! Followed by the techno scratchy radioactiiivveee sppiiidermaaaan

What throw is that?

3 Likes