What did you get in the mail, 2022?

The Blurple Boi has arrived! Here’s my initial thoughts/review of the Dressel Designs 5050…

Thanks to @Chriscatastrophe, I was able to try this out awhile back before purchasing one, and I’ve already talked about how much I love it and was looking forward to actually owning one. My observations after throwing it for most of the day today: I’ll sometimes read comments about undersized yoyos where someone describes it like “Yeah, it’s pretty stable… FOR AN UNDERSIZED YOYO” or “This is actually pretty good for an undersized yoyo.” I’ve said it several times myself. The thing about the 5050 though is… this is TRULY the first undersized yoyo I’ve used where I feel like I’m not even throwing something undersized.

Additionally, due to the added width, my brain tricks me into thinking I’m throwing a yoyo that’s a lot bigger than it actually is. It’s more comfortable in the hand, AND it lands tricks more consistently than other undersized yoyos as a result. Some might be worried more width = less stability, and I couldn’t be more confident in saying that isn’t even a worry here. I never thought I would say that a 1:1 organic yoyo would be an amazing performer, but it really is - the more I use it, the more impressed I am with it.

I think part of why I enjoy throwing this so much is that it reminds me of the Hatrick - a long acclaimed classic that is also a favorite undersized yoyo of mine. It’s almost like a refined, wider Hatrick 2.0. I recall @hobbygod saying that it’s the yoyo he wishes he could’ve had back in 2009, and I couldn’t agree more. It’s got the classic/mid school feel while not having the slight shortcomings of some of those older, classic designs, and undoubtedly holds its own against some of my favorite performing throws. It feels nostalgic and brand new at the same time, which I love.

A super small detail I’d like to point out that shows Patrick’s attention to the smaller things: if you look at the fade in the cup, the engraved logo is aligned in a “parallel” manner and not perpendicular to the fade - basically the logo and fade look integrated. This is the case on both sides so I have to believe it was an intentional choice, that was much appreciated as someone who notices small details like that.

Final thoughts: if you have previously been hesitant to try undersized yoyos, or have even been disappointed with them in the past (for whatever reason), give the Dressel Designs 5050 a try… I think it will change your mind. It stands out from the rest, and I really do believe it’s a classic in the making, as it breathes new life into a category of yoyos that really needed it. I highly suggest picking one up while you still can! I’m a huge fan and can’t wait to pick up a Kanto on the next run as well (crossing my fingers for that black/gold colorway).

Here’s some comparison shots with a General Yo Hatrick, since I discussed it earlier:

35 Likes