What are your most and least favorite styles of yoyoing?

What styles of yoyoing do you like the most, and the least?
For me, I tend to like fast/flashy tricks, especially if they sync up to music onstage. That’s usually horizontal, or behind the back stuff. Whatever is flashy.
For me, it’s the tricks that emphasize what yoyoing is supposed to be: something that looks cool.

And the styles that I’m not fond of usually consist of people doing more basic elements slowly, and calling it “flow”. This often takes the form of repeaters, or just doing something a basic element slightly differently, like passing the yoyo to the OUTSIDE of your hand instead of the INSIDE. Even if this is harder, at the end of the day, it still doesn’t look much cooler than the stuff you learn in your first two weeks of throwing.

What are your guys’ thoughts? What styles do you dig, or are not super into? No wrong answers!

2 Likes

i like offstring a lot i don’t have an offstring yoyo but i hope to eventually get into it

1 Like

I like to see a lot of body movement, even dance elements, incorporated into a style. Shu Takada is the finest example of this in my opinion.

3 Likes

Gentry’s Moonwalk on Insta was amazing

1 Like

Oh yeah he’s amazing! For me it’s all about the performance. Wayyy too many people get way into the technicalities of yoyoing and lose sight of what it’s supposed to be: something that is impressive looking. A performance hobby.

2 Likes

My favourite to watch is 3a, my favourite to do is 1a.

1 Like

I have to agree, I can watch anything Shu does with a yoyo all day long and not get bored. I came to the thread ready to say my most favorite style is 0A (fixed axle) and my least favorite is 3A (because I’m rubbish at it). However, based on what everyone else is saying, I think my most favorite is when elements of a freestyle strongly sync with the music (I’m also rubbish at that).

3 Likes

Yeah, I just can’t seem to get behind 3a as much as the other 5 styles. The payoff to work required ratio isn’t very good hahah

1 Like

I know that 2A is really challenging, but it’s not a style I find myself all that eager to master. It is probably my least favorite.

My favorite is 1A, which is hardly surprising. It’s most people’s favorite. But when it comes to 1A I tend to like tricks that move the yoyo around a lot in wide swinging arcs and that move the yoyo in and out of simple string formations quickly. I don’t care for the slow, highly technical style where the yoyoer stands in one position and just maneuvers the yoyo around within a small space making all kinds of webby string tangles.

This is also why I also like 5A, because the physics of the counterweight drive tricks towards the kind where there is lots of fast angular movements, and not a lot of dense string structures.

3 Likes

crouching tiger hidden yoyo

2 Likes

3A is extremely impressive and I appreciate the fact that it exists, but my will to try it is almost close to zero.

1 Like

what style would you like to start learning?