What are you throwing 2024?

:joy::joy::joy::joy: lol

1 Like

Mono-Metal Monday; At Design Lab ZERO Minus with its Aged Vintage Coating Splash, and 1st Class Kitty Fat. IMO this is the best variant yet

@atdesignlab

25 Likes

What are your initial thoughts on play? What would you compare it closest to?

3 Likes

1st off the ZERO is a YWET inspired clone with some design updates, like a true Schmoove instead of the novel “Quad-Fist” grooves for multiple O-rings. ZERO also has not as high of a wall as YWET or Freehands, adding some Trapeze Width. ZERO is also an awesome player in its own right. ZER0-Minus is a light weight version at 59 grams, so its has a nice and easy feel to it, but a lot of the weight was taken out of the Hub Nub, so it plays now with more stability IMO. Kind of floats around like a Freehand without caps, but retaining the power and stability of having dedicated rim weight. Real easy throw with that Mid-School “it” factor, but modernized machining for more performance, 21mm pads for tight response and regens, just great for casual tech. A Boomers delight

13 Likes

Hm… this is wild! We have had a small handful of folks report slippy pads to us on new yoyos over the years, but I honestly don’t use any super special pads… I swear! I test all of our yoyos with poly or poly/nylon blend strings to give a bit of break in, but most yoyos really only receive 2 to 3 throws and binds during the vibe check.

Our most recent Cenote and Bathysphere runs use FPM’s Pink Pads. I’ll have to reach out and inquire the specific shore hardness because I don’t know it! I’d bet they’re shore 40 based on performance, just a guess.

Now, first run Bathyspheres AND Cenotes came equipped with RSO Type 50 Landing Pads, which are shore 50 (blue in color).

There are no CAD changes between Bathy runs, however, I am told by other people who know more than me that different ano/more colors is more or less material and that the machninist may even adjust the bearing post diameter for the ano! This tells me there should be minute weight differences between say, a clear yoyo and a 3 color splash.

Back to pads, when it’s cold and slightly less humid here, all my pads slip… especially with nylon and blend strings. I suspect both humidity and temperature play crucial roles in the response pads grip (or lack thereof). I also get slippy pads in new yoyos a lot… especially clyw. Every snow tire yoyo I get is deathly slippy (rip my Harrison Hurricane Otter) until hours of break in with rough nasty poly string. And even then, sometimes I swear that Otter never binds!

When I get slippy pads, I grab a fat rough poly string and prepare my dainty digits for a rigorous and painful session… or I rip em out and flow some clear sili :saluting_face:

8 Likes

I honestly can’t believe I never considered it was just cuz I always go straight to nylon when I get a new yoyo. Even though I always use poly to break them in :man_facepalming:

I’m over here creating conspiracy theories about climates and top-secret-slippy-pads :joy:

Sorry dude. it seems so obvious now lol

5 Likes

Which run Otter? I think I read that the recent (2023?) run was slightly updated including tightening the response.

2 Likes

No apology necessary!! And who knows, I might be crazy… this is just from my personal experience and wild ideations :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

First run, if I remember correctly. I knew the latter releases were updated, but I haven’t tried one.

Did they run the Harrison Hurricane colorway again on the v2?

2 Likes

We here in Florida are a friend to the conspiracy theory. The crazier the better.

8 Likes

22 Likes

Going cheap today.

20 Likes

Trying out some 3D printed TMBR parts that came with the Dead 'Orse PIF. I think @TryCatchThrow printed these. Please correct me if I’m wrong. They work great and look cool.

21 Likes

I love his tmbr axles! They make me want to pick up my tmbrs a lot more, for sure!

@TryCatchThrow spintop tmbr cap, one day?

6 Likes

Yes those are me. I’m glad you like them.

4 Likes

Yes, I can give that a try. I actually did a CAD for a one piece printable spin top that I haven’t gotten around to printing yet (mostly because I don’t think it’s going to be a good top :sweat_smile:), but it should be pretty straightforward to combine the two.

I had a total meltdown on a print recently and have to install a replacement hot end before I get back up and running.

2 Likes

One Drop has declared a 54 Gen 2 Day; this one has AL Ultralights and some Kitty Yellow Whip today

@da5id

26 Likes

My wife’s traumatizer, aka my mother-in-law, finally left after an impromptu extension of her stay. So, I decided to treat myself and self-care today with my only titanium and a fresh rope of nylon.
Happy Tuesday!

39 Likes

Today’s double trouble. Totally different yet somehow adding up to a cohesive experience.

24 Likes

Nothing has drawn my attention away from this M2/Draken (tech thin) combination since the M2 arrived.

27 Likes