What are you throwing 2024?

It’s all I’ve been throwing. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I got a lot of yo-yos getting reaaaal jealous of Asora :grin::joy:

22 Likes

Thanks, for the reviews! Your thoughts are always helpful. I definitely agree with you about the unique feel of plastics. Something about plastic yoyos are just more fun to me when I’m just messing around. I have been thinking the Sonic Wave might be the best choice, especially since it’s solid plastic all around. I love more undersized yoyos too, but the 57mm of the Shooting Star hasn’t bothered me for some reason. I think 57mm is probably as big as I’d like. I also like that the Sonic Wave isn’t as wide in width, that’s one thing about the SHFX I have been thinking I might not like as I think it’s around 47mm. I’m hoping someone has a Sonic Wave this weekend at Steel City Throwers to try out before I make up my mind for sure. Thanks again!

4 Likes

First throw of 2024, the OD Format:C Gen 2 in UV Green Cerakote!

27 Likes

Yesterday it was the Sochi Insulator Lithium, very, very good. If you see one I highly recommend. One Drop VTWO and Format:C ver2. Thanks to @GTDropKnot mentioning Mr Matio YouTube on another thread, going through his speed tutorials was fun. The new Format:C did very well with those.
Today I added the Gnome Trooper which I’m enjoying more and more as the bearing is spinning better. Really nice to play with and looks to match. Hopefully @bobafret will be producing more.

21 Likes

saaaame. I look at all my yoyos and just grab the asora 99% of the time lol. Really impressed with it!

9 Likes

Saw this and thought of @Raindog3030

12 Likes

Looks like a good read. I miss bookstores.

5 Likes

Throwing some silicone in these :star_struck:

18 Likes

Nice the smooth grooves look awesome. I always wondered how FH1s play with silicone. Have you tried it before?

Edit: Just saw you had deeper grooves added too. Nice!

4 Likes

E23

27 Likes

18 Likes

Yep modded my first Freehand 1 about a week after I got it when I was a kid. My dad had a metal lathe. :grin: This came out so good plays amazing. Going to pop the caps and spend an agonizing amount of time Hex tuning it smooth as possible.

20 Likes

These two on deck - Spyder and the new Docpop PLTPS

28 Likes

Sounds legit.

2 Likes

Tldr: I think I have OCD. but can’t argue with the results. :sweat_smile:

For OG FH’s/FHZ, I pop the caps off and I mark a pip in sharpie of each body half hex mold edge and a pip on the Hex bolt and Nut and write out the results of each setup H1,N1 and note amount of vibe from each combination. Example: H1,N1,N2,N3,etc and if I don’t like the results of any of them, I flip the hex bolt to the nut side body and repeat until I have a best of the two results and compare them. If the vibe is still rough and I’m not satisfied with either result, I swap the hex bolt and nut with a spare to see if they have better tolerance and fit to reduce slop and resulting vibe.

Once I have a pairing I’m finally happy with say H3,N2 I wipe the pip marks off with rubbing alcohol and mark them again matching hex body edge to hex bolt/Nut edge so they line up. Typically black on one half, blue/silver on the other half so they don’t get mixed up.

If I’m reeeally wanting a FH to be as smooth I can try and get it, I mark each body half and side cap edge at 1,3,6,&9 o’clock typically with 1,2,3,4 and repeat the same process popping the cap and rotating it around to see if there’s any variation in vibe. Typically only do this if I initially put caps into a smooth hex combination and notice a significant amount of vibe increase on either or both sides. It’s super tedious and I hate it. :grin: (It’s a similar method tuning side effect throws.)

As an aside, I have brushed on silicone and fingernail clear coat an edge of the nut or hex bolt before to varied results as well as Teflon tape to get a better fit to try and reduce vibe as much as possible.
•Frosting (lightly sanding with high grit automotive sandpaper) can also slightly increase or decrease vibe.
•Swapping out thick spacers, shims/orings, and bearings can sometimes reduce a slight amount of vibe but typically not as much as tuning.

For new Freehand One’s I wouldn’t mind writing out a disassembly and tuning guide sometime as I haven’t seen much of anything so far in that regard. :hugs:
“and knowledge is power!”

7 Likes

Any advice on cleaning the edges of freehand caps? @Tobiyo89

3 Likes

Cleaning in what way like dirt etc? Like removing silicone or some sort of adhesive? Or excess flash molding material? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :face_with_monocle: @yoyojoe

1 Like

Cleaning up the mold marks on the outer rims. I’ve lightly sanded them by hand, but I feel like someone has to have a better method.

3 Likes

Very lightly sanding with fine grit sandpaper is normally what I’d do in most cases. If there was excess flash molding material that didn’t break off cleanly before being assembled, I’d use flush cutters to remove the excess and slowly sand it smooth best I can. Excess cap molding material can produce some hella vibe. I have used non-acetone enamel paint’s typically a clear coat to build up material for loose rattly caps before as well.

3 Likes

Floral Carbine

In. Love. Literally. Oh. My. Goodness.

32 Likes