What did you throw 2023?

I used to love my American that’s exactly like yours, but I was never thrilled with the colorway. It bothered me enough that I finally posted a message in the YYE forum about finding a similar yoyo with different colors. I got several good recommendations, but I was still stuck with my American in that colorway. But then I got a couple of the black ones with various languages etched into the center of the cup and I loved them.

Some time after that, YoYoFactory did a limited release of the American Liberté, which was essentially the American with the addition of plastic fingerspin caps. That totally boosted the American and turned it into a fingerspin beast, which I loved even more! I ended up getting a few of them, since they’re incredible for doing the DNA (I know, but it’s a crowd favorite) and pull-starts. Because it’s not overly expensive, looks good, is unapologetically H-shaped, and is great for tricks, it ended up being my daily carry for months. And since I had backups, it was one of the first yoyos that I polished as an experiment. That turned out to be truly striking, as the rims are brilliantly shiny and the wide catch zone is jet black and retains the blasted finish that’s a must-have for long grinds:

The Liberté is still a favorite, as it makes fingerspins and pull-starts nearly effortless. I’d love it if YoyoFactory would re-release the Liberté in new colorways. It seems as though they didn’t make very many of them, there were only a couple of colorways, and they weren’t available here on YYE. If they ever released a revised and upgraded version in new colorways, my wallet would probably go up in flames!

19 Likes