Any recommendations that are similar to the YYF American?

I’ve got the YYF American in the purple acid wash, and I really like how it handles. For some reason, it’s faster than I’d expect and I like the H-profile. However, I hate to say this, but it’s one of my ugliest yo-yos. I’m now kicking myself that I didn’t go with the basic black or even the black acid wash (even though I’m not the biggest acid wash fan). But before I risk melting my credit card by buying another one, I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for yo-yos that were similar, but maybe even a bit better, with more colorway options.

FWIW, I already have the shutter and shutter wide angle but I DON’T have the element yet.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

3 Likes

The YYF Kapital is a great one. Kind of similar shape, but more organic. Also made in America. But, it’s wider and lighter, so the specs are a bit more “modern”. Performs great, and feels ridiculously floaty. Almost like a “Wide Angle” version of the American.

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I put the Kapital on my “want” list!

1 Like

Kapital is awesome!!

1 Like

Old school-wise, check out the Envy, Envy64 and NVX from HSpin.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. Yet another brand that I haven’t heard of, so time to do some research!

No problem. It’s easily one of my top 3 yo-yos. Definitely the most fun, and it performs well. Only type of tricks I haven’t tried on it is horizontal.

1 Like

Sounds good! Horizontal isn’t even close to being on my radar yet :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

OK, here I am, months later, finally coming back to this. Your suggestion about trying the Kapital was spot-on, and I wanted to thank you for your reply.

I got one a while back, but it was just one yo-yo in a batch that I got with several others so I didn’t give it much play time originally. I’ve got several organics now, and I really, really like the Kapital. While it didn’t blow me away originally, I think it’a an exceptionally good yo-yo. In fact, I found this thread by searching for Kapital on the forums as I was expecting it to be in one of those “underrated yo-yos” threads. It seems a bit understated to me, as there doesn’t seem to be anything about it that grabs me right away. But it’s a solid performer and easily handles whatever I manage to throw at it. It’s been in regular rotation for a while now, and continues to impress me. I’ve already started to look at other colorways for a “beater” that I can play over concrete and tile.

At any rate, thanks again for the excellent suggestion!

2 Likes

One Drop Aitch

1 Like

You could look around on the bst and find a super g, that’s what the American is based off of.

Too Hot is a Cool YYF H-Shape.

1 Like

If you like the YYF American and Shutter you should seriously consider trying the aitch from One Drop.

1 Like

Iyoyo HiDRA

Wow, lots of good suggestions here, thanks, everyone! I’ve already got the Aitch, and am definitely building up an affinity to it. I was really looking forward to it when I first got it, but then I wasn’t able to do very well with it since it was more narrow than I was used to (I’m still somewhat of a newb). But I started throwing it a lot more over the last couple of weeks as the narrowness is no longer a problem and is actually a bonus by forcing me to be more accurate.

The HiDRA is another good example of a similarly-shaped throw, and I really like that one too. I haven’t seen the Too Hot or the Super G before but just looked them up. The Super G looks great; I really like that profile. I guess I’ll have to start browsing the BST section some more. Thanks for the extra suggestions!

1 Like

I forgot to mention that the Mowl Vigilancia isn’t too far off the American. Its profile is sharper and more angular, but it’s a really nice throw and super smooth. I haven’t heard many people talk about it on the forums, but I think it’s excellent:

My only complaint is that the laser etching is pretty dominant and doesn’t feel fantastic, but the rest of the yoyo makes up for that easily.

2 Likes