What 3 Yo's should be in the Smithsonian?

I was having conversation the other day with a friend, and the subject of yo-yo’s and the Smithsonian came up, and what should be there.

So, YYE historians, and geniuses of the day, what say you? I don’t care what’s there now, if there is (the Pop Culture exhibit was closed when I went a couple years ago). Our international folks, please think of your respected government/countryfederal-level museum/conservatory/repository.

I’m not looking for just a brand and model though, I’m curious about three, very specific yo-yo’s. Or, let the thread die, I don’t care…

3 Likes

First a Pedro Flores yoyo, than a original wooden Duncan tournament yoyo, than ether the 888 or the shutter.

1 Like

which ones in particular, can you think of a specific 888, as an example?

1 Like

The Duncan Imperial that flew on the Space Shuttle

The SB2 that flew on the Space Shuttle

The yo-yo Richard Nixon used in stage at the Opry

11 Likes

this guy gets it, and those are friggin awesome selections! (one of those were the ones i picked too)

3 Likes

The Smithsonian does have many yo-you in their collection

My personal favorite is https://americanhistory.si.edu/collections/search/object/nmah_1272970

4 Likes

Probably just the first one, I don’t know much about the early ones.

Pedro Flores, Duncan imperial, and YYF Shutter.

1 Like

yes… this is an exercise in what other people think though!

No love for the DNA that flew on the space shuttle?

5 Likes

@yyfben2 that was one of my three… the sb-2… and i’m curious if the last one i selected will be brought up

I’d prefer to imagine that one could be for my personal collection

2 Likes

What makes this especially hard is that the first two could be considered “obvious” for historical reasons, leaving only one spot left for a yoyo to get in on some other criteria. And there are too many important milestones in the 65 years that followed the release of the Duncan Imperial to yield a clear winner for that third spot.

2 Likes

this is what was killing me… #3

I want the one where he bootlegged the hubstacks. reminded me of Deep impact. No Patents in Space.

1 Like

First 3 in here The 5 yo-yos that revolutionized yoyoing

3 Likes

thanks @yyfben2.deactivated… dope vid

I agree that “What TWO yoyos” would be a much easier question.

1 Like

1904 Worlds Fair was in strong consideration on my list.

2 Likes

If I am making the exhibit, I would have these three:

1904 World”s Fair.- for the history

Either a Flores / or Duncan - to highlight the height the Golden age of yoyoing.

The SB2 - for being on the Space Shuttle.

Those would be my selections

1 Like